5E Character Create Playlist

Hiding items in a module from players

Hope this is the right place to ask this. I only want to include some races and subclasses from a sourcebook so I'm trying to find a way to hide the other from the players view (particularly in the 5e character wizard). The files are read only (use xanathar's guide as an example) so as far as I can tell I can't delete them. I can create copies into the campaign then unload the module from the players, but some feat/trait links throw a module not loaded error box and as far as I can tell because the traits don't ahve a section in the sidebar, I have no way to copy those over for the players to access, so that way didn't work.

Does anyone have advice on a way to do this? Considering some books where I only want players to have access to about half the stuff and I really don;t want the view full of option they aren't allowed to take confusing people. Cheers!

EDIT:
    I didn't notice the delete option on content that isn't the PHB, because my real life perception mod is -10. Assuming all sourcebooks allow that to happen I guess nevermind there is a way to do it and it's super obvious!
    Last edited by CassMerry; July 19th, 2024 at 17:10. Reason: I have a terrible perception mod and didnt notice something

Deleting things from the module is a temporary solution really since if the module gets updated everything will come back.

If you only want to include some of the archetypes open the class list and then click on the Specializations button at the top of the list. Then open the class that you want (say Barbarian) and scroll down until you find the specializations. Drag the ones you want to allow and drop them into the specializations window. Once you have done that close Xanathar's and then export the specializations into a module which you can share with your players (make sure you click the players module tick box). Also make sure that you have unshared Xanathars Player module.

There's no races in Xanathar but you should be able to copy any races from any other book and include those in your export and unshare the book they are coming from.

See video Forty One here for details on how to export to a module https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-do-I-in-Unity or see the wiki article here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...#Module-Export
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Deleting things from the module is a temporary solution really since if the module gets updated everything will come back.

If you only want to include some of the archetypes open the class list and then click on the Specializations button at the top of the list. Then open the class that you want (say Barbarian) and scroll down until you find the specializations. Drag the ones you want to allow and drop them into the specializations window. Once you have done that close Xanathar's and then export the specializations into a module which you can share with your players (make sure you click the players module tick box). Also make sure that you have unshared Xanathars Player module.

There's no races in Xanathar but you should be able to copy any races from any other book and include those in your export and unshare the book they are coming from.

See video Forty One here for details on how to export to a module https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-do-I-in-Unity or see the wiki article here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...#Module-Export
    Ah, so if I export them to a module it also exports the things that they are linked to? I think the test I did that threw an error was copying a race from Fizban's Dragons and then as a player it needed a link to a trait that no longer existed

Traits and abilities are contained in the race and there shouldn't be any kind of link failure. If, however, there was something that was linked outside the race - such as a table - that would also need to be copied and you would need to relink it to the copy and export the table as well. But can you give me a specific example where the links required the original module to be open.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Traits and abilities are contained in the race and there shouldn't be any kind of link failure. If, however, there was something that was linked outside the race - such as a table - that would also need to be copied and you would need to relink it to the copy and export the table as well. But can you give me a specific example where the links required the original module to be open.
    The thing that threw the error for me was trying to open the dragon breath trait frmo the dragonborn from Fizban's, I'm guessing thats an unusual error then? I'll double check trying it again later and see if I notice anything else that might be messing with it

Quote Originally Posted by CassMerry View Post
    The thing that threw the error for me was trying to open the dragon breath trait frmo the dragonborn from Fizban's, I'm guessing thats an unusual error then? I'll double check trying it again later and see if I notice anything else that might be messing with it
    Fizban does seem to be a little weird in that respect and I'm not sure why exactly. It probably has something to do with the module being converted from par5e to campaign; and the links in the module xml file will only work if Fizban is open. I tested with some other books and making a copy of a race and then closing the books doesn't throw up a request for the original source to be open. I'm a little reluctant to start messing too much with legacy module since doing so is likely to break existing characters. I fear that if you want to restrict some of the races in Fizbam you may have to more or less rewrite them.

I would move stuff and change stuff. Love it when someone says but that's not what is in the module!

Thread Information