Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Copy/Paste within and between painting layers?

Is there a way to copy/paste selections of objects within and between painting layers? I thought I better ask before suggesting it on the ideas site.
    I haven't found a way to select a group of stamp markers within an painting layer and duplicate them to the same layer and them move them (I naively tried ctrl-C ctrl-P). This would be a very handy feature if it doesn't exist.
    Similarly the ability to copy a group of painting layer objects to another painting layer would save lots of effort (duplicating the layer and then doing lots of deleting is the closest method I've found for this but it doesn't help for merging objects onto existing painting layers).

Edit: Oops I meant ctrl-C ctrl-V (not ctrl-P)
    Last edited by Steeleyes; February 29th, 2024 at 08:44.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeleyes View Post
    Is there a way to copy/paste selections of objects within and between painting layers? I thought I better ask before suggesting it on the ideas site.
    I haven't found a way to select a group of stamp markers within an painting layer and duplicate them to the same layer and them move them (I naively tried ctrl-C ctrl-P). This would be a very handy feature if it doesn't exist.
    Similarly the ability to copy a group of painting layer objects to another painting layer would save lots of effort (duplicating the layer and then doing lots of deleting is the closest method I've found for this but it doesn't help for merging objects onto existing painting layers).
    This is a worthwhile suggestion. I've added it to my list to investigate soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    Epic!

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    A few details for the implementation if I might be so bold. Perhaps when the objects are pasted, the selection is cleared and the current selection becomes the new objects. This makes little or no difference when pasting within a painting layer, but it would help when pasting items into a different layer because we could then move them. Also I'd vote for the new objects (the copies) being placed at the same coordinates as the old ones rather than with some arbitrary x/y offset (this feels preferable again to me especially when pasting into a different layer).

I would suggest that they SHOULD be offset, that way it's obvious that you aren't accidentally putting stamps on top of another.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    I would suggest that they SHOULD be offset, that way it's obvious that you aren't accidentally putting stamps on top of another.
    I can see this line of thinking too especially within a layer. When moving things to a new layer you'd probably like them to be in their original position. A little extra complexity but probably doable.

In fact there are all kinds of things that could be done to compute the X/Y offsets based on the aspect ratio and bounding box of the selection objects or markers. Wide selections might be placed underneath the original selection, and tall selections to the right (based on my biases for western style written word). I suspect that might be over complicating things.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps the solution is to allow a From-To when you copy paste. That way you can define a vector for offseting when pasting. It allows for both an identical placement and a new placement without disrupting the flow too much. Though folks just used to ctrl-c ctrl-v might be challenged with it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Though folks just used to ctrl-c ctrl-v might be challenged with it.
    Good point. I meant ctrl-c ctrl-v (not ctrl-p as I wrote)

Hi,
    has there been any update on this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saramund View Post
    Hi,
    has there been any update on this?
    It is on my list of QoL improvements, but I can't say if will make it into the next round of updates.

Thread Information