Dungeons & Dragons 2024 Core Rulebooks Pre-Order
View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Roleplaying in Solo Play

# Isn't It Weird to RP By Myself?

If you don't want to roleplay by yourself, a way to entertain yourself is to simply comment on the results of rolls for your PC, NPCs, monsters, and villains. Just like a pro wrestling commenter in TV. You can even be as sarcastic as you want if that's your cup of tea!

But there are some ways of inner-interrelations for your PCs that might raise your appetite for your sessions. Especially if you like reading or listening to ...
  2. Exploration In Solo Play - Part I

There are 2 ways for Exploration in Solo Play. The other one is create-as-you-go from scratch. Since this is the most preferred one for newcomers, I'll start with;

# Discovering An Established Setting

Remember when I briefly mentioned that you can use a setting book to discover it in gameplay instead of reading it as a book? This is the part that expands on it. In combination with Random Content Creation Methods, it can be a fun start for your first solo session.
  3. End of the Session

What will happen next?

This is the question! This is the mood you want to create for yourself in a Solo Play Session. That's why too much detail is an obstacle in this type of play. You need just enough info to kickstart your first scene, and nothing else. You'll discover the rest in your sessions.

Your only concern should be what is in front of your PC in here and now.

# Hang In There, Baby

Always END your sessions WITH a CLIFFHANGER, ...
  4. Mechanics of Game Story

When you learn to quickly establish your first scene by trial and error and repetition, the rest will come easily. So, if you fail at first don't worry, it is even expected, just try again. Solo Play is more of a learned skill rather than something naturally comes to you. Try to have control over the Core Game Loop, especially Freeform Association.

Keep creating more story content by using the same methods: ASK questions depending on current CONTEXT - Use Freeform Association - Roll ...
  5. Freeform Association

Freeform Association is an improvisation method where you link randomly generated words into a coherent (piece of a) story. Just as in Improv Theater. This is a part of content creation method, and not a standalone way to make up your story. You'll only use it if a simple YES / NO answer is not enough to create content.

Unless, you're using more complex Mythic GM Emulator that started it all. FFA is an integral part of Mythic's Oracle "Fate Chart." I discussed this in Mythic ...
Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... Last
DICE PACKS BUNDLE