5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer58 View Post
    It is not that simple. Door sizes are also wrong. Line of sight thru a door way for the game engine wrong. The map needs a rework. The function of demi humans visibility not working as LOS does not function. But beyond that the game engine function is off because of map size issues. It needs 3.3 feet per character icon which does not divide into 10 foot squares. So a map overlay does not work as their is drift of .1 foot every 10 feet. When you get across the map the drift causes more issues.

Is there a way to define the size of the square on the original toee map to 9.9 feet? Then I can use an over lay of 3.3 feet.
    Many of the 2e content or older TTRPG content where not made or designed with VTT or line of sight in mind, so scaling, and more exact digital representation would require new maps and assets to be made for half of the sold products.
    The interpretation of how the LoS should be applied was in the hands of the developer prior to the newer features, and the provided assets on hand. In many cases, some of this will fall upon the GMs to adapt. The suggestions below are fair and reasonable. It's not realistic or even practical to add unlicensed content or changes to an official product, and there is no good way or cost effective method to retroactively go back through older content to address these types of preferential expectations. The product doesn't advertise LoS officially. An oversight by the individual in the map scale interpretation had occured, and using older black and white or non optimized VTT maps would be time consuming and almost pointless for anyone to address. The masking method fits the style of game play well, and if we need that extra immersive Line of Sight, it will fall upon us to manage it.

We should not have to do anything if we paid for it? There is no good way to guess how individuals or end users are going to use the content to start with, and not having exactness is likely not game breaking in this case. I don't think any wrong doing was intentional, and this seems more like an editions war topic more than a request for clarity or help in this case. It's not worth the hassle. Play more, prep less does not mean no work at all. I have put in effort to source or make maps for content that I don't like and I don't put that on anyone but myself. Most VTTs will require the same if not more effort to adapt the content to your liking.
    Last edited by Laerun; Today at 16:21.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

http://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

3 characters can fit in a 10 foot wide passage. side by side. So a proper grid would be 3 and 1/3rd foot per icon for a 10 foot wide hall way. Since FG is all decimal it becomes 3.3333333 repeating and never divides into 10. So I have to change the grid to 9.9 feet per square to accommodate FG. The issue here is scaling with a game engine. The original module was not made to scale with a game engine.
    This is not the fault of the module as made by Wotc. The fault is in the implementation of the module within the game engine of FG.

I am saying it is not user friendly with the game engine as it is sold to me without me changing the game engine to work with the module you sold to me.
    Again I reference play more work less selling point of FG!
    Last edited by hammer58; Today at 16:16.

To fit three characters side by side into a 10ft corridor you are going to have to set the grid size to 16.6 (1/3rd of 50px). Each character occupies one grid square. You'll then need to work out what the distance multiplier will need to be to satisfy your need to have movement calculated to a decimal point.

The play more prep less doesn't just refer to a pretty minor aspect of the mapping but to the whole range of things which are included in the module, such as premade encounters, monsters, treasures, the whole text of the book, the speech bubbles, the images, the treasure parcels, and the many other aspects of the module which you aren't apparently interested in.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Since you can place tokens with 9 places inside an FG grid, you can just place three tokens across (two in grid centers and one on a grid mid-point) if you don't want to worry about drift. Just reduce the size of the tokens to whatever size you want so they do not overlap.

Many of us easily make this work for our needs. But, if you are unhappy with your purchase, you can return if for a full refund within 30 days if bought from the FG Store. Steam has it's own policy.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

You guys have pretty much covered everything but I'll add TOEE is a 1e module ran on the 2e ruleset. So it is configured for 2e ADD. Also many adventures come with both original map and reimagined maps. There are TOEE maps on the internet you can use and add your own LOS.

To get your tokens sized right you need to do like they suggested and run 5 foot squares on the original maps.

For using FG in in person games I recommend using the mask tool and a single party token. When a combat encounters occurs grab the [party from the party sheet and drag it to the map.
    1. This lets them setup their positioning ahead of time.
    2. Keeps you from dragging more than one token around the map.
    3. if you are using one machine just make sure player vision preview is turned on. Personally I run a client machine and put it on my 55" TV and run the GM version on my laptop.

The biggest Advantage of using FG for in person gaming is not the mapping IMO but the Combat Tracker. I have players maintain their own character sheets and control all NPCs on the CT. Players never see the CT.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information