Cosmere RPG Beta Launch

Sudden computer shutdowns during sessions

I have experienced 3 computer shutdowns during Fantasy Grounds Sessions. Each time, the screen goes black, and there is a beeping sound from the monitor speaker. There is no tripped breakers or fuses, no other device blanks out. But each time was during a FG session, and wondered if something could be amiss.

First step, after a reboot, check the Windows event logs for any error message that appear at the time the issue occurs - this may help to identify what's causing the problem.

If the event log doesn't show any indication of what might be happening, then a bit more investigation will need to be done - make sure you're running the latest video drivers for your video card, you may need to install software that tracks your CPU and/or GPU temperature and see if they are overheating and causing the shutdown, see if your BIOS has a self test option - and run a thorough test to see if it finds any hardware issues...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It sounds like a hardware issue with either memory or graphics card that is causing a hard shutdown. FG will push memory consumption and graphics more than standard browser activity or business applications.

* Make sure you have the latest graphics driver for your video card.
    * Check CPU and GPU temperatures both when doing nothing; and when running FG (or other heavy graphics app/game)
    * Try running hardware checks on memory (such as Windows Memory Diagnostic (Windows 11))
    * Could be bad power supply as well.

After getting system to run high-demand graphics app/game without issues, I would follow up with a disk check, just to clean up any potential disk anomalies from the constant shut downs.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information