Hey everyone! I need some advice from the hivemind. I working on a high level campaign for 5e in which the PCs will take command of several factions of mercenary units. This will be for a large scale battle on a very large map. I was looking at trying to convert the old AD&D Battlesystems rules for this but I'm not sure how to handle the tokens and units that would be on the battle maps and combat tracker for Fantasy Grounds.
My thought was to create a custom character sheet for each unit type with all their pertinent information and allow each PC to control that unit and act as it's commander. Part of my dilemma is that that each "character" or unit is one single token. I would like to have something that could group a number of tokens under a single unit. Partly for the "cool" factor of how that would look on the map but also allow the PC some flexibility in unit movement, deployment and attack / defense.

Is there a way to assign several tokens to a single "character" sheet? For example, I would like a unit of elven archers - each unit (Character sheet) represents a 1:50 ratio but could have maybe 5 tokens to that one unit for squads of 10. Very similar to what is done to tabletop miniature games (DBA, Fire & Fury, and so on). It needs to take up some physical space on the map. Can a single token be comprised of several unit type tokes and be a more rectangular shape than a rounded shape? I know this sounds like a bit of imaging or photoshop thing but not sure how Fantasy Grounds handles shapes, other than round, for tokens.

I realize the 5e was never designed for this and like I said that I might fall back to some of the basics of some other system. I am open to suggestions and options and would like to hear other ideas. I am not married to any specific system but am open to ideas.

If you have a suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks