Fantasy Grounds Merchandise

[BUG] Player characters can't maintain powers on CT

[BUG] Player characters can't maintain powers on CT.

1. Player on CT casts spell and applies effect.
    2. Advance to next actor until power is about to expire. Message will appear in chat as reminder. Duration on CT will become a cross.
    3. A player clicking on cross does not maintain power on CT

Expected behaviour is for the duration to be restored to original value.
    Note that clicking the cross on the GM side does it correctly. This used to work for player the same way.
    Last edited by Lonewolf; Yesterday at 15:52.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

when clicking the cross as a player, it does "show" a check until you let go, as if it's TRYING to work.

This is another uncooperative bug that I can't reproduce. It's working fine for me.
    I even tried connecting as a player on a second PC with a different license.

Would you compile a log file for me? It may not log anything since there's no error, but there may be a clue in there.
    Also, if you can reliably reproduce this, can you send me a copy of your db.xml? When you're on the caster in CT, and you see the maintain button, use /save in chat before sending me db.xml. Hopefully that will have the state that's making the maintain fail.

Anyone else experiencing this bug is welcome to send me a db.xml. The more clues the better.
    Add feature suggestions for Savage Worlds to Fantasy Grounds Feature Request.

I can reproduce it

Attached xml as well
    Attached Files Attached Files

After "further" testing.. once you're able to "maintain" a spell, the "bug" doesn't resurface. with the "bug there" I added two more spells, forced 5 turns. and was able to maintain them.. I re"casted" smite.. and was able to maintain it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you for the video. That really helped.
    What's happening is that the power effect was not applied by the player. It was applied by the GM.
    Notice that when a player applies a power effect it has "by [character's name]" under it.
    The maintain function looks for the caster as part of identifying a power effect. Since there's no caster, it belongs to the GM, so the player can't maintain (or cancel) it.

Having said all that, the maintain button shouldn't appear for the player if the GM applied it.
    I'll update the code so the button doesn't appear in this scenario.
    Though I'll get bug reports that the button isn't appearing when it should.

Here's the answers to your next question:
    I can't figure out that the GM is applying an effect from a power on a player character's sheet. I tried that when adding cancellable effects.
    I know the effect is coming from a power, but that power is not attached to a character. The character sheet has a link to the power, but not vice versa.
    I can tell when a player does it because a power effect can only come from the character who's current turn it is. (An assumption based on what permissions a player has.)
    They can apply effects only from their own character or owned NPCs from powers, edges, actions, whatever.
    A GM may be applying a power effect from an enemy, a trap, whatever. Just because it's Unable to Maintain's turn doesn't mean the GM is applying something from that character.
    The assumption here is that the GM is applying effects from enemies and situations.

So, to make this work as expected, make the players do more of their own work. We GMs have too much to do.

What I'm observing, (doing it the "correct way")
    Create new game
    open player version of swade module
    create new character
    (shouldnt matter)
    give it faith for miricales, and the arcane background for miricales
    give it the smite power (or another it needs to maintain)
    Have player (or gm) "cast smite" on player to "maintain"
    Wait 5 turns
    Player is unable to "maintain" their own spell via clicking on the icon

AFTER ANOTHER CASTING they are able to maintain

It's only the 1st casting they are unable to maintain

The text I see when a player casts on them selves is. [Smite] Effect applied to [no maintainum] (see pic)

AFTER the 1st spell is unable to be maintained... all other spells are able to be maintained. just not the 1st one
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the second video, was the turn arrow on the player character using the power?
    If it's not the caster's turn, it won't register that character as the caster.
    Notice there's no caster name under the power effect.
    Try setting the turn indicator to the caster then apply the spell effect.
    Does it register the caster then?

when it's the player's "turn" and they cast it on them selves, the "text" doesn't change but it behaves like it "should"

In the attached image, do you see the tiny text below the effect text that says "by [character name]"?
    That's the key.
    It's set by the current turn indicator. Without it there's no way to know who applied the effect, thus who can maintain it.
    Still, the maintain button shouldn't display for that player. I'll fix that bug.
    Also, I was off in my post above about something. The GM can apply a power effect while on the character's turn and it will credit that character with applying the power effect.
    bycaster.jpg

Thread Information