Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    I can only say "please don't" I guess

I use it all the time and I asked for those extra feature to use it even more lol

I may get a chance to look into this this week (no promises). I'm assuming with the "Skill maximum value" and a "Skill fixed value" you want to cap or lock a skill at a particular value?

That would be great.

Yeah, by "Skill maximum value" I basically mean the opposite of what "SKILLMINVAL" does (so SKILLMAXVAL I guess?): the overall result of roll+mod can't go above the maximum value.

By "Skill fixed value" I just mean that the result of roll+mod is always the stated value (or just the roll, if it's easier. I just want to be able to decide the outcome of a skill roll without having to roll, i.e a creature with "SKILLFIXEDVAL: athletics 20" will always get 20 as a result of its Athletics checks).

Maybe if this "Skill fixed value" it's not something feasible in FGU, the same result could be achieved by giving a creature both SKILLMINVAL and SKILLMAXVAL (assuming a max value is possible)?

If you want a fixed value, why even roll? Just say what happens.

Do you have specific use cases for these for your game? I’m not familiar with any official rules like that; but want to understand where the request is coming from.

Just curious,
    Thanks,
    JPG

I should have probably explained how I plan to use this feature.

Brief premise: I use an extension called Generic Actions that adds several "Actions" buttons to PCs and NPCs sheets for things like Dodge, Grapple, etc. This extension also add a "Break Grapple" button that basically checks if the actor has the Grappled condition (and who applied it) and automatically rolls both contested rolls in order to resolve the attempt to break the grapple.

Now, there are several monsters with attacks that can apply the Grappled condition to targets on top of the normal damage, allowing the target to then free themselves on their turn by beating a fixed DC instead of rolling a contested Athletics/Acrobatics check.

For these monsters the "Break Grapple" button is useless because it would prompt a contested roll instead of checking the fixed DC of that specific ability. The normal way to resolve this is to simply ask the player to make the roll vs the DC in question and then a) check the DC on the CT/monster sheet and b) manually remove the grappled condition from their character on the CT.

If Skill floor extension allowed us to have a "Skill fixed value: x" I could apply an effect beforehand to have these monster always make athletic/acrobatics rolls equal to the DC of their own grapple ability, so the player could simply use the "Break Grapple" button to free themselves from the grapple automatically.

The flip side is that the monster with this effect now won't be able to make normal grapple rolls without turning off the effect (since they would always have the fixed value as a result), but the monsters with this type of abilities are generally monster that the PC won't try to grapple in the first place.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information