5E Character Create Playlist

Kickstarter-like campaign for incorporating extension functionality?

There have been a few interesting threads regarding extensions lately. One of the topics discussed is if SW could/should incorporate the functionality of certain extensions (generally by coding it themselves rather than incorporating the extension original code). As many other users, I believe the answer to be yes.

As far as I have seen, the main problem seems to be that incorporating extensions functionality risks to be investing many coding hours without sufficient economical return. For this reason, I wonder if a kickstarter-like model where some functionality is going to be incorporated (and maintained obvs) by SW provided that a certain level of funding is reached could be viable.

I would be interested in opinions about this by both SW and fellow users. I can already think of a couple of potential issues.

- FG is not subscription based, and I believe we all want it to stay that way. General development of FG should not become paywalled, but imho there is space for a kickstarter format for more specific/niche features.

- The developing team at SW is pretty small I think. Funded development of niche features could risk delaying the not funded more general development.

- It is healthy to have external developers working on FG extensions, so SW would need not to step on their toes.

There are probably other issues which I am not seeing. Still, I believe that, if carefully approached, the system could work. How does the community feel about this? Would SW be willing to consider something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by snupy View Post
    There have been a few interesting threads regarding extensions lately. One of the topics discussed is if SW could/should incorporate the functionality of certain extensions (generally by coding it themselves rather than incorporating the extension original code). As many other users, I believe the answer to be yes.

As far as I have seen, the main problem seems to be that incorporating extensions functionality risks to be investing many coding hours without sufficient economical return. For this reason, I wonder if a kickstarter-like model where some functionality is going to be incorporated (and maintained obvs) by SW provided that a certain level of funding is reached could be viable.

I would be interested in opinions about this by both SW and fellow users. I can already think of a couple of potential issues.

- FG is not subscription based, and I believe we all want it to stay that way. General development of FG should not become paywalled, but imho there is space for a kickstarter format for more specific/niche features.

- The developing team at SW is pretty small I think. Funded development of niche features could risk delaying the not funded more general development.

- It is healthy to have external developers working on FG extensions, so SW would need not to step on their toes.

There are probably other issues which I am not seeing. Still, I believe that, if carefully approached, the system could work. How does the community feel about this? Would SW be willing to consider something like this?
    I like where you are going with this.
    Potentially make a top 3-5 to include and go for it, as long as the original extension authors are able to sign away their code.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

http://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Thread Information