GI JOE RPG Launch

Breaking Extensions so much

I have been missing 2 months of gametime because you KEEP breaking extensions with your shitty updates. Why the hell do you install a system of PAID EXTENSIONS if you are not going to communicate with their Developers in order to try to make things smooth each update instead of ****ing up everything for everyone because you wanted to delete a single line of Code.

We provide notifications in all our official channels for developers to provide lead time to adjust to upcoming changes. Because all extensions/mods are made by people not associated with SmiteWorks, we have no control whether they look at the updates we provide nor whether they provide updates. We always recommend not using extensions if you are concerned about errors occurring on updates, as well as recommend not updating immediately before a game or if you are concerned about the extensions/mods you use.

Regards,
    JPG

Moon,

Any chance we could get a system in place for extensions that includes an entry in the .xml that indicates the max version of the FG client the extension supports?
    Then, in the client, check all extensions before updating to give the user some understanding about what they are about to do. IE show a list of the extensions that would be outside of supported version.
    If it didn't have the entry in the .xml it just says unknown.

The system would not prevent update but certainly could help with debugging extensions. I'm sure it is only a story point or two....
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by FedeBerserk View Post
    I have been missing 2 months of gametime because you KEEP breaking extensions with your shitty updates. Why the hell do you install a system of PAID EXTENSIONS if you are not going to communicate with their Developers in order to try to make things smooth each update instead of ****ing up everything for everyone because you wanted to delete a single line of Code.
    Stop updating right away If using extensions. That is the answer. Once you have a stable game with the extensions you want, DO NOT UPDATE. If there is no reason to update, Don't. as I believe Silentruin says, "Extensions = Risk". I use 30 - 50 extensions and have for years. I have only had 1 play session interrupted due to updates, and that was due to a player updating after being reminded EVERY session, not to.

I also agree that IMO FGU without extensions is only about half as good (Sry SW). so I get it. Update = BAD until it is needed.
    My First Mod PFRPG - Feats Extended, focusing on PF1e Feats and Racial Traits automation. It is open to community assistance** accidentally deleted, If anyone grabbed a copy, PLEASE let me know**. Here is the forum Link.

40+ PF1e Extensions & Modules I use, with links.

PF1E Coding Effects - Spreadsheet

Discord: Morenu

Quote Originally Posted by jharp View Post
    Moon,

Any chance we could get a system in place for extensions that includes an entry in the .xml that indicates the max version of the FG client the extension supports?
    Then, in the client, check all extensions before updating to give the user some understanding about what they are about to do. IE show a list of the extensions that would be outside of supported version.
    If it didn't have the entry in the .xml it just says unknown.

The system would not prevent update but certainly could help with debugging extensions. I'm sure it is only a story point or two....
    Jason
    World of Warcraft had (probably still has, not played in years) something like this - extensions had a version number, if that didn't match the current version of WOW, it would not load unless the player forced it (and then had issues with it not working but they got a warning sign before hand).
    Savage Rifts© on Fantasy Grounds Store
    Ultimate Edition Fantasy Grounds - ONLY ON Linux
    Twitch Channel

Perhaps Smiteworks could update the game to include the features that the most used and helpful mods/extensions. If they are a part of the game it will eliminate most of the needs for outside mods/extensions.

There are a lot of basic functionality extensions that I would think could be rolled into the base game but of course that's maybe a big ask. The check for updates button could maybe have a secondary dialog window with a warning that updates may cause issues with extensions or something like that.

My group discussed not updating the game but all it takes is one senior moment from a player to forget not to click it.

Is there a way to rollback to a previous version? It sounds like the creator of one of the extensions I really like (CoreRPG Extraplaner Containers) is stepping back from updating and FGU and there won't be anymore updates unless he can find someone else to take over.

Thread Information