DICE PACKS BUNDLE

[Bug] Can't drag token flat into portrait selection / discussion required

[Bug] Can't drag token flat into portrait selection / discussion required

Replication:

1. Create a new character
    2. Add a correctly formatted. webp token flat to character
    3. Try to drag it into the Portrait position.

In the past the token flat would also appear as a portrait. Note that the opposite is still true. Adding a portrait will also get a duplicate token flat.

The file format is almost identical in both cases. This has allowed community developers to create Archetype characters that store a token. When these are added as players. All that needs done is as a user is to drag the token flat into the portrait box to finish the character and make it fully playable.

The alternative is very cumbersome. Create a Portrait .ppk and have users hunt for it to find the right image. This alternative is harder for users to set up and harder to maintain.
    Last edited by Lonewolf; September 16th, 2024 at 17:55.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

This was changed in CoreRPG. Here's the new behavior:

Dragging from token-flat or token-camera into portrait doesn't work in any ruleset, including D&D 5E. It doesn't matter the image format.
    You also cannot drag from portrait to either token box.
    If the token isn't explicitly set, it will be set to the portrait and change with it until explicitly set.
    You can drag a token from assets to the portrait. That's not any better than using a portrait .ppk for the players, however. They have to have those images and tokens in their local images folder.
    Add feature suggestions for Savage Worlds to Fantasy Grounds Feature Request.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Serfass View Post
    If the token isn't explicitly set, it will be set to the portrait and change with it until explicitly set.
    You can drag a token from assets to the portrait. That's not any better than using a portrait .ppk for the players, however. They have to have those images and tokens in their local images folder.
    We can explicitly set the token during module creation via markdown. When Archetype was copied to character selection window. This token could be dragged to to the portrait to finish the charcater. Since Archetypes do no save with a portrait. Now this no longer works so time to teach people to get passed this so they can still use the modules they bought.

I would say that dragging a token from assets to the portrait is now the best solution. Since tokens have a search function to find the folder thay are in. These tokens will be packed into the module. A search for the name of the product finds all tokens quickley.

Whilst searching for available portraits stored in .ppk requires using a plain stupid interface. Since they don't get stored as part of the module. I would say lets not bother with setting up portraits at all.
    Ultimate License holder.

Although long term I still think we are going to have issues here in the future.

I still don’t think Moonwizard likes Archetypes. Since they add an extra window that is not way Core RPG would do it. Hence extra maintenance. Characters are expected to be created manually and saved as pre-generated characters using /export.

That is a painful slow way of doing this especially in adventures that come with Archetypes. It is better to have one markdown file. With both adventure and characters.
    If Smiteworks intends to stop us creating Archetypes. Module Maker will needs to support the replacement pre-generated characters.
    Ultimate License holder.

Unfortunately, the image can't be retained with archetypes or pregens. I looked into this.
    Portrait references are hard-coded based on charsheet (PC) entries. There's no mapping to pregens / archetypes and no way to transfer portraits with them in modules.
    The only improvement I can think of is to petition Moon Wizard to add the token drag functionality. Though the answer may be that portraits aren't tokens and should use actual portraits. Which is a good point.
    We just need more artists to make the three variations of each character image (token, 2d, portrait).
    Add feature suggestions for Savage Worlds to Fantasy Grounds Feature Request.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Serfass View Post
    Unfortunately, the image can't be retained with archetypes or pregens. I looked into this.
    Tokens are stored with archetypes. I do it all the time in store products. These used to also act like a Portrait when dragged. However that feature has been removed. I am still going to carry on storing tokens in archetypes because they at least identify what image was. Search by product name for the same token can be used to add the portait back on. It is an extra step that is now required with drag gone.

As for producting the required images for all three types. That is what I do provided the publisher provides at least one picture that can be modified. NPCs can of course store all three images it just player characters that require a bit more work to restore them back with images intact.
    Last edited by Lonewolf; Yesterday at 22:05.
    Ultimate License holder.

Thread Information