5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
    Blog Entries

D&D 2024 Rules Update and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q: Is D&D 2024 a new ruleset?
    A: No. D&D 2024 support has been added to the 5E ruleset as these are meant to be compatible. Despite that, there are changes to a number of areas, including but not limited to classes, subclasses, items, NPCs, feats, and spells.

Q: Can I use D&D 2024 with older D&D fifth edition content?
    A: Yes. You can load modules from D&D 2024 (just the Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook currently) alongside the old D&D Player's Handbook, Xanathar's Guide, Tasha's, and any other books or adventures that are 5E compatible. Older modules will include a new tag that lists them as "(Legacy") modules. Functionally, they will behave exactly the same as before.

Q: How do I adjust a Legacy NPC to use D&D 2024?
    A: If the source is not read-only, you can unlock the NPC and click on the Version cycler to change it from Legacy to 2024. You will see the statblocks change to the new 2024 format. You may need to reference the original immunities, vulnerabilities, etc. and copy those values to the new combined fields for these for 2024 NPCs. Actions, Traits, etc. should work the same.

If the source is not read-only, you can drag a copy of it back into the record list window for that type of record and it will create a version that says "(copy)" at the end of the name. Unlock that copy, click on the Version to cycle to 2024 and make any adjustments you like.

Q: How do I choose which version of a data record (item, NPCs, class, spells, etc.) to use when I have both D&D 2024 and Legacy content loaded?
    A: Each of our list windows now includes a Version filter. You can use the filter to only show Legacy, 2024, or all records at once. Once you open a record, you will see the version indicating either Legacy or 2024.

Q: How do I tell Fantasy Grounds that I want to continue using Legacy rules?
    A: You will be prompted with a question asking which version you want to use by default when the campaign first loads up. Setting this to either Legacy or 2024 will let FG know that you want to create all new records as that type by default. This will not prevent you from creating records of the other type, but it just sets the default value for the version on any newly created records. If you also own the new D&D 2024 modules, you can choose to not load those into your modules activation window. No modules are loaded by default, so you choose what rules you want to use.

At any point in the future, you can edit your Campaign Settings to turn the game rules default setting to either 2024 or Legacy.

Building Characters

Q: Can I build legacy characters in a 2024 campaign even if the GM has 2024 set in the Campaign Options?
    Yes. If you have the Legacy modules loaded, you will see legacy options for class, background, species, etc. If a record exists in both 2024 and Legacy and you have both sources loaded at once, then you will be presented with a dropdown where you can select the source for the record. Choose Legacy options to keep your character fully compliant with the Legacy rules.

Q: Do you recommend building characters with both Legacy and 2024 sources?
    No. The recommendation from Wizards of the Coast is to use 2024 sources for a new 2024 style character or Legacy sources for a character using the older rules. Wizards of the Coast did not balance the new character options across all older sources. You can, however, mix and match those if you choose. Fantasy Grounds will not prevent you from doing so and we have set it up to assist in this if you so choose.

Q: Can characters be built with a 2024 class and a Legacy background?
    A: Yes. In the character builder you can choose a 2024 class and then choose a Legacy background. A warning will be added to the builder's commit screen to let you know that this is not recommended. Because Legacy backgrounds did not include Ability Score Increases (ASI) and often were missing a feat, we recommend you manually adjust the abilities for your character using the Misc section of your character builder.

Q: Can characters be built with a 2024 class and a Legacy Species?
    A: Yes. In the character builder, you can choose a 2024 class and a Legacy Species. A warning will be added to the builder's commit screen to let you know that this is not recommended. It will also let you know that the Ability Score Increases (ASI) for the Legacy Species will be ignored on the Abilities tab. If you really want the ASI despite this warning, you can manually adjust it using the MISC abilities section of your character builder.

Q: Can characters be built with a 2024 class and a Legacy Subclass?
    A: Yes, although this is not recommended. When you choose a class and reach level 3, you will be presented with all 2024 subclasses as well as any Legacy archetypes/subclasses from Legacy modules you have loaded. We have built new 2024 versions of these subclasses for older sources that adjust the features to be given at level 3 at the earliest. Everything else remains the same about the subclass.

If you have a Legacy subclass source that has not been converted to be compatible with 2024 classes, you can do this yourself within FG by a) dragging the subclass record into the subclasses (Classes > Specializations) window to make a copy, unlocking it, and changing the version to 2024. Adjust any feature levels you want. This will work for both official content and homebrew content.

Q: What do I do if I have a question about something not covered in this FAQ?
    A: Please ask us below and we can answer you. We will edit this list as we go.
    Last edited by ddavison; September 17th, 2024 at 14:44.

I preordered the three 2024 books, and my understanding was that the Player's Handbook would be released today. But FGU did not prompt for an update this morning, and when I manually updated there was no change. When will the new content be pushed to users?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazybones1969 View Post
    I preordered the three 2024 books, and my understanding was that the Player's Handbook would be released today. But FGU did not prompt for an update this morning, and when I manually updated there was no change. When will the new content be pushed to users?
    Same
    Inquiring minds want to know

Quote Originally Posted by Lazybones1969 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Fighter View Post
    Same
    Inquiring minds want to know
    The release should be around mid day Eastern Standard Time

Meantime here's some videos you can watch https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...o4-vBsM_hFpiFE
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    The release should be around mid day Eastern Standard Time

Meantime here's some videos you can watch https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...o4-vBsM_hFpiFE
    Heh, that's fine, I got the hardcover book from my FLGS and have been perusing it. Just was curious to see how the FGU implementation works (thanks for the FAQ above). If there's anybody who's likely to get up early to play with their new toys, it's gamers.

Blog Entries
    This is live now.

Is there/Will there be built-in support for Weapon Mastery properties, or do custom powers/effects need to be manually added to the character sheet for things like the Topple saving throw or the Sap disadvantage on a single attack, etc.?

It's something we have on our long term plan, but right now the focus is on the base line and getting it working without any issues. It's something on our list though
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Thread Information