5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Combat Tracker Functions

Hey everyone, I've been using FG for a couple years now and feel pretty confident with the system as a whole, but there is one thing that I have wondered about and maybe some of you can help me finally understand what its function is

In the combat tracker (effects) there is a little "drag to target" button
    Effects.png

When you use this targeting button and drag it to another actor in the combat tracker it adds the line of text Targets: (Targeted Creature)
    I tried with different effects to see if there is an automation connection, like a persistent burn damage but it does not seem to carry the automation to the targeted actor
    Effects 2.png

As far as I can tell this button's function is just for information or a reminder?

Does anyone use this in their games? What do you use it for? Does it have a function I am missing or use that I had not thought of?

Thanks ahead of time for anyone's input on this

As far as I know, it is the same as ctrl-clicking a token to target them. This then applies any attack, damage, or heal to that target.

It's not the targeting function from the top of the actor in the combat tracker, The one that makes the actor target another actor with attacks and spell actions.
    This targeting option is specific to each effect that exists in the actors effects list
    Target.png
    Each effect in an actors list can be set to other targets

The targeting reticule is used for Effect Targeting - more on this here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...fect-Targeting

So, say you had a situation where something allowed an NPC to gain advantage on their attacks but only against a particular creature. That creature would set up an effect of GRANTADVATK with targeting of SELF and then place that effect on themselves from their actions tab. They would then use the Targeting reticule to drag that effect onto the NPC that gains advantage on attacks against them.

This can also be achieved as alluded to by @johnecc above by SHIFT (not CTRL) dragging the effect from the action tab onto the creature that's getting the advantage.

Only certain effects can be used as targeted effects. In the list of effects here only those with a (T) in the notes section can be used as targeted effects https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...tion#Modifiers
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Fantastic,

This is exactly what I was looking for.
    Thanks a bunch for taking the time to point me in the right direction

Thread Information