Fantasy Grounds Merchandise
Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
    Below is IMHO..

The vast majority of users that use FGU, FGU mods, and FGU rulesets as is are not aware there is anything else. What they don't know about they don't miss.

The minority of users that use extensions to make the pain of running a game as a GM easier usually can't live without them once they know of their existence and start using them.

The ultra thin minority (like < 30 IMHO) write their own extensions and modules to fill in any deficiencies in running their game and don't care what they know as if it can be done they just make it happen even if its not perfect (shoot for good enough).

While the forums are filled with opinions on extensions I feel the vast majority of users simply don't read them and are unaware of the things many feel strongly about.

We of the forums live in a rarified world IMHO.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

I think this may be the first post that you've ever made that I agree with
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

So here is an honest question I looked into a year back and got a bit lost and then interrupted. As an old head that has done DOS Basic and Pascal eons ago and understands the basics of how HTML works, and has done a few edits in things for 3d printing firmware and what not... is it realistic for me to learn to code Lua for use in FGU?

Perhaps the other partial fix is to have a central location for people to learn? I see github being used I assume to collaborate and such but I know very little of its benefits.

And if the response is yes and such, this maybe should be its own post.
    My First Mod PFRPG - Feats Extended, focusing on PF1e Feats and Racial Traits automation. It is open to community assistance** accidentally deleted, If anyone grabbed a copy, PLEASE let me know**. Here is the forum Link.

40+ PF1e Extensions & Modules I use, with links.

PF1E Coding Effects - Spreadsheet

Discord: Morenu

Blog Entries
    Yes. A couple basic tips to get you started:

1. Unzip CoreRPG.pak and whatever other ruleset you want to look at, such as 5E.pak into folders somewhere on your disk (outside of FG preferably)
    2. Look over the XML and LUA files to get a basic fill for things
    3. Use Notepad++ and the Find in Files option to look for keywords. If you know a keyword, it will often be in a strings file to allow for localization and then you can see everywhere that is referenced by searching for the name of that string variable
    4. Do the same thing for extension files that end in .ext

Unpacked folders will override the official versions delivered from our update system, so keep this in mind if you leave them under the rulesets or extensions folder. That's a good and fun way to test small changes. Just type /reload into chat whenever you want to test your small changes. Ideally, you will want to look at making extensions to modify stuff. Updating the ruleset directly is a quick and easy way to test an idea or prototype.

There are loads of examples online for LUA and you can even use chatGPT to assist you with the development. Just tell it you need LUA code and provide some samples and what you hope to accomplish.

Blog Entries
    Learning to code some Lua just for FG is both reasonable and achievable. It is very satisfying when you make something work for yourself.

Getting started for non programmers can be daunting but is still very achievable.

Thankyou ddavison, thats great info.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Learning to code some Lua just for FG is both reasonable and achievable. It is very satisfying when you make something work for yourself.

Getting started for non programmers can be daunting but is still very achievable.
    I am really enjoying returning something to FGU by coding effects for PFrpg Feats and more, not coding per say but the problem solving and mental process is fun.

Taking over orphaned extensions with say a group of new coders and doing fixes or taking say an extension from 1 rule system and making it work in another (with permission) or even making from scratch could all be done. the idea of managing an extension once its live can be aa bit much, but a group of individuals that can test and offer fixes might draw in more new coders.
    My First Mod PFRPG - Feats Extended, focusing on PF1e Feats and Racial Traits automation. It is open to community assistance** accidentally deleted, If anyone grabbed a copy, PLEASE let me know**. Here is the forum Link.

40+ PF1e Extensions & Modules I use, with links.

PF1E Coding Effects - Spreadsheet

Discord: Morenu

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    If we look at the development costs we incur to develop smaller systems, we actually lose money on those. They are subsidized by sales on the top tier systems. If community devs build out 2nd and 3rd tier rulesets, then we don't really make money on these, but we don't lose money either like we would if we developed those in-house. It still takes internal staff time and effort to roll out community developed mods, and to manage those after release. Our best bang for the buck is to build functionality that improves the top selling rulesets and can be used to add functionality to the 2nd and 3rd tier rulesets as well.
    The $$ obviously show this statement to be true.
    And probably especially so with the release of a new version.

An alt perspective is:

People play D&D 60%+ of the time but they also play a lot of other systems and if other platforms have D&D and the other games that makes a compelling case for these other platforms.
    If FG ever lost the rights to sell new D&D versions I imagine it would leave a crater sized hole in your cashflow.

I don't know how much of the user base engages with extensions vs those who don't. It would be cool if there were stats for that if it was even possible outside of seeing forge subscription numbers.
    I can only say I use them and I have grown to significantly value their function.
    Like Silent Ruin said, it is hard to give up functionality you liked/grew used to after you had it. I am just one guy in an apparent minority of FGU users that use extensions, so I won't say I expect to sway SW decision making. I just know I will look for a VTT that gives me the functionality I want.
    Last edited by Dudin; September 12th, 2024 at 16:03.

I would really love to see a system developed solely for FG that showcases the power of a fully operational death s...I mean FG. I mean a full crunch system that is as fully automated as possible to show that no matter how difficult the game would be to run in-person, FG makes it a breeze.

Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

Thread Information