GI JOE RPG Launch

DM lost characters for 1E/2E campaign.

DM bought new computer and never backed up old computer and lost his hard drive transfering it. I created a new campaign and was able to find some to import. I see all his campaign folders in my cache but some of the characters did not show up when I import them. I see campaign.dat files in the folders. I am guessing the characters are in there? Is there anyway to open those and retrieve the characters directly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I'm no expert on this part but I happened to be browsing and saw your post. I think if you created a new campaign with the same ruleset as the old campaign, you should see all the characters available for import. If they aren't there, I'm not sure that there's another way to get at them. As far as I know, they should all be in the .dat file, there's no way to open it except through FG import into a new campaign, and if they aren't there then you can't retrieve them. Maybe someone will correct me...
    Twitter: @Doomswords
    Discord: Doomsword#0669

Blog Entries
    the characters that you own will be in your cache
    if you release your character it is no longer owned by you and is removed from your cache
    if you connect to another campaign with the same name the cache will get overwritten

Right, so each player that owned a character would need to create a new campaign and import the character(s) they owned. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Or of the GM makes a new campaign with a DIFFERENT name players should be able to import their characters.
    That definitely sounds like the best idea. Get the GM up and running again before the players muck about...

Not sure what happened but I think all my characters were under my name in the character selection box but I may have released the characters from showing at the top of the game as I use multiple characters. I was thinking maybe when updates come up it changes the cache but I did recover a character from around 2020 that I haven't used in over a year. I ended up getting back about 1/2 my characters. Some of them lost I was playing for several years and 1 I used about a month ago before the latest big update. I will talk to the DM and try the new campaign.

Blog Entries
    If you cannot find them locally they will not appear when you connect top the GMs new campaign.
    If you release a character at the end of a session it will be removed from your campaign cache.

Thread Information