GI JOE RPG Launch
Page 5 of 6 First ... 3456 Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordRichtor View Post
    I just looked again, and they (again) may be backtracking but my Google search came right back to that they are preparing to remove all spells and and magic items from everyone's purchaced content ahead of the release of OneDnD. We have seen this before and both of those are clearly central to game mechanics for both the PHB and DMG. Even in this thread there was comments that suggested that WotC has stated that the supposedly "backwards comapatible" mechanics cannot work for classses as it would be unballanced, is telling that the players will be forced to migrate to the new system. My bet is, this will follow through to the MM release next spring. The FGU team is clearly working hard to try and merge the two, but at the end of the day I'm wagering this will have to be a wholesale change between the two systems. Frankly, I don't trust WotC to be doing anything other than a money-grab.
    If you ignore the following posts, these two initial posts on ENWorld discuss what was happening followed by the latest statement from WotC/DDB retracting the previous decision.
    Regardless, what happens on DDB is not what SmiteWorks is doing on FG. Rely upon the statements from SW for what they are doing with FG>

(9) D&D (2024) - How D&D Beyond Will Handle Access To 2014 Rules | EN World Tabletop RPG News & Reviews
    (9) D&D (2024) - Wizards of the Coast Backtracks on D&D Beyond and 2014 Content | EN World Tabletop RPG News & Reviews

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Indeed. Content wasn't going to be removed, just made considerably more inconvenient to access (i.e. needing to manually look up in the existing Compendiums rather than being linked to from sheets).

The one thing that seems likely to be affected, FGU-side, is that it seems rather plausible that WOTC will stop selling D&D 2014 books once they're superceded and will require that partners do the same. If we go by what happened when MP:MOTM was released, superceding VGtM and MToF, anybody who had already purchased a licensed conversion of VGtM or MToF was permitted to keep using them as-is if desired, but new licenses for them could not be sold. I don't think that WOTC has yet confirmed that they'll be cutting off sales of legacy material, but it at least seems likely.

In other words, if anybody thinks that they'll want to run a 5E game using the FGU conversions of the *2014* PHB / DMG / MM but doesn't yet own them for whatever reason, they should probably buy those licenses soon because they may not be avaiable for much longer (well, the Monster Manual can wait until February, but the PHB 2024 comes out in mid-September); and the same would eventually be true of other books should WOTC decide to reprint/remaster any.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarly Dude View Post
    The one thing that seems likely to be affected, FGU-side, is that it seems rather plausible that WOTC will stop selling D&D 2014 books once they're superceded and will require that partners do the same. If we go by what happened when MP:MOTM was released, superceding VGtM and MToF, anybody who had already purchased a licensed conversion of VGtM or MToF was permitted to keep using them as-is if desired, but new licenses for them could not be sold. I don't think that WOTC has yet confirmed that they'll be cutting off sales of legacy material, but it at least seems likely.

In other words, if anybody thinks that they'll want to run a 5E game using the FGU conversions of the *2014* PHB / DMG / MM but doesn't yet own them for whatever reason, they should probably buy those licenses soon because they may not be avaiable for much longer (well, the Monster Manual can wait until February, but the PHB 2024 comes out in mid-September); and the same would eventually be true of other books should WOTC decide to reprint/remaster any.
    100% Agree that this is most likely.
    I'm hoping SmiteWorks will be able to confirm this either way though soon (tm).

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    The difference here is that it is costly for WOTC and Bricks and Mortar stores to print, distribute, stock 2 different editions but there is no cost to them in continuing to sell digital editions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    The difference here is that it is costly for WOTC and Bricks and Mortar stores to print, distribute, stock 2 different editions but there is no cost to them in continuing to sell digital editions.
    Yea, but they still prevented new digital sales of Mord's. *shrug* I hope they don't stop digital sales of 2014 products, but I think they will.

Will the SRD elements of the new rules be available free, or will the PHB need to be purchased?

Quote Originally Posted by WildKnight View Post
    Will the SRD elements of the new rules be available free, or will the PHB need to be purchased?
    I don't think there is any information on whether there will be an SRD release or if there will be one then when. If there is an SRD then I don't imagine anyone charging for it.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    WotC through DDB has announced that their will be an updated SRD. SRD 5.2 and it will be released "within weeks of the 2025 Monster Manual".
    2024 Core Rulebooks to Expand the SRD | Dungeons & Dragons (dndbeyond.com)

My understanding is that the 2024 MM will be released Feb 18, 2025.

I guess what I'm asking is if there will be free support for the elements of the Players Handbook that are free that they've already released (for free). I'm guessing based on responses the answer is no, no SRD type support is forthcoming until the three rule books are complete, if at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WildKnight View Post
    I guess what I'm asking is if there will be free support for the elements of the Players Handbook that are free that they've already released (for free). I'm guessing based on responses the answer is no, no SRD type support is forthcoming until the three rule books are complete, if at all.
    SmiteWorks has not responded.
    But your interpretation of mine and Mr Z's responses seems to be different from what we are suggesting.

Yes there will be no SRD support in FG before the SRD is released. How could they possible do that? No one knows what the SRD will contain until it is released, and the content of the PHB '24 is protected intellectual property and not available for anyone to release without license.

WotC says they will release an SRD update next year. SmiteWorks has always released a free FG version of all SRD type documents for all rulesets they support (D&D, Pathfinder, etc).

Unless SmiteWorks says otherwise, it is very safe to assume the SRD 5.2 will be released for FG. After it is actually released.

Page 5 of 6 First ... 3456 Last

Thread Information