Fantasy Grounds Merchandise

SOLVED - Segmentation Fault and crash when trying to import images on Linux

Solution: set the "GDK_BACKEND=x11" environment variable in the .desktop file for FGU.

Trying to import images into a campaign causes FGU to crash to desktop.

Rulesets tested:
    • Mongoose Traveller 2E
    • 5E
    • Core RPG

Extensions/Themes: None

Modules Loaded: None

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Create a new campaign in any ruleset.
    2. Open the "Images" window from the Campaign tool box.
    3. Click on the "import" button.
    4. Watch as FGU disappears.

I tried running FGU from a terminal to capture any debugging info but the only message was "Segmentation fault (core dumped)". I have my system set to not generate core files but if it would be helpful I will happily turn it on and send a core file.

If there is anything else that would help debug the problem I am happy to provide it.
    Last edited by shindaseishin; September 4th, 2024 at 01:18. Reason: Adding SOLVED to title to indicate that the issue is resolved. Also adding the solution to the first post to help anyone who finds this thread later.

Blog Entries
    EDIT: Nevermind, for some reason I was thinking the installer/updater was crashing.

Do you have MS Core Fonts installed? See the note at the bottom on this page: Installing on Linux - Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal - Fantasy Grounds (atlassian.net)
    Last edited by LordEntrails; September 3rd, 2024 at 23:23.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yes. I have the ms core fonts installed.

When the import image button is clicked, an operating system file selection dialog is opened. If the crash occurs without this window opening, then it might be a rights issue to the location that the file dialog is trying to open. Have you used the dialog successfully before? Or is this the first time you've tried to use it?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The file selection box does not open. This is the first time I've tried to use it. I should have read permissions to almost all the system. Definitely everything under my home directory

It seems to be a xorg vs Wayland issue. I restarted my session in xorg instead of wayland and now the import button works.

Adding the env variable to force xwayland does the trick as recommended in that thread. Thanks for the help. Marking this as SOLVED.

Blog Entries
    We have discussed adding a dev cycle for Q4 on the installers. We can add this to the list to investigate.

Thread Information