GI JOE RPG Launch

A question about token "activation" and "selection" and the latest Ruleset update

In the latest Ruleset Updates 2024-08, this new feature was added: "When centering on token via CT double-click, turn option, or other button; token will be automatically selected."

It's working as described. The token is only selected when Turn: Auto-center map is enabled in Options. Would it be possible for the token to be selected during the turn option when not using auto-center map?

I currently use an extension to select a token on its turn, because I don't like the auto-center map option. It would be great if automatic selection worked even if the auto-center feature were disabled.

When I click through the CT tokens are being automatically selected for me without auto centre turned on, in the 5e ruleset at least. What ruleset are you using? And did you test without extensions?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    When I click through the CT tokens are being automatically selected for me without auto centre turned on, in the 5e ruleset at least. What ruleset are you using? And did you test without extensions?
    I tested this in a new 5e campaign with no extensions loaded. With auto-center off, the tokens are not automatically selected for me. To be clear, I am referring to token selection, not token activation as defined here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...kens#Selection.

In the attached screenshot, the token is made active on its turn, but it is not auto selected. Turn: Auto-center map is Off.
    Screenshot 2024-08-19 134224.png

If I enable Auto-center, then the token is selected on its turn as shown here:
    Screenshot 2024-08-19 134752.png

Can auto-selection can be made to work without using auto-center? Thanks for your attention.

Ah, right. Ok, I didn't see the subtle distinction. One thing I did notice was that even if the token is selected (when Auto centre is on) you can't move the token right away (unless you click on it); but if you target something then you can move it. So maybe there is a deeper problem.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Ah, right. Ok, I didn't see the subtle distinction. One thing I did notice was that even if the token is selected (when Auto centre is on) you can't move the token right away (unless you click on it); but if you target something then you can move it. So maybe there is a deeper problem.
    Good catch! I hadn't noticed that either. It appears that since you just clicked on the CT to move to the next turn, the map window is no longer active. If you move to the next turn, you also must select the map window before the token can be moved. I'll amend my earlier question by now asking can the token be selected automatically so that it can be moved without having to make the map window active, and without requiring auto-center to be enabled?

A good quality of life improvement, and interesting as well.

Since this thread lost traction, I'll summarize what @Zacchaeus and I have found so far in hopes for an official response. Please, and thank you!

When you use Next Actor in the CT, the map window is no longer active, so you must select the map window before the active and selected token can be moved if using the number pad or arrows. Also, as the ruleset update patch notes confirmed, automatic token selection only works if you have auto-center enabled.

My questions:
    1. Can we have token auto-select without requiring auto-center to be enabled?
    2. Can the map window be made active so that the auto-selected token can be moved without needing to make an additional click before moving?

This would only be a work around, and, as I'm not at my computer to check, it may not even work, but if you drag the 'next actor' button to a hotkey (I always have it on F1) does that still de-select the map window when used?

Cheers,

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Ludd_G View Post
    This would only be a work around, and, as I'm not at my computer to check, it may not even work, but if you drag the 'next actor' button to a hotkey (I always have it on F1) does that still de-select the map window when used?

Cheers,

Simon
    Just tested it, and that does not work either. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Honestly, the issue of having to select the map window before moving a token is less of an issue for me than having to enable auto-center for the auto-select to work. If I could only pick one, I would rather have the auto-select option enabled in all conditions (and/or have the option to enable/disable auto-select in Options).

Thread Information