GI JOE RPG Launch

FG slows down and freezes whe loading DCC People of the Pit.

Hi!Im having trouble Playing this adventure , because it freezes the program whe I try to navigate through the chapters on the included reference manual. It takes almost 1~2 minutes to load every chapter. It does not happen with other Ruleset. I tried to delete and create a new adventure, but it keeps freezing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can also see significant slowing down when I got to a reference manual page that contains an image - especially the first page in each chapter as that contains an image of the map for that level. I see the slowdown for some of the other DCC adventures I own as well (DCC #66.5 Doom of the Savage Kings and DCC #67 Sailors on the Starless Sea) but not for adventures that come with the rulebook - Keep off the Borderlands, for example.

We've had some issues with certain types of black & white images in the past and I'm wondering if this might be the case here too, especially as the three adventures that I have the same issue with are converted by the same FG community dev - so it may be that the type of image encoding for these adventures is causing an overhead in FG. Unfortunately, I don't have full access to the modules, so I can't look at the encoding used for the images. Hopefully an FG dev will pick this up to look at.

@coffeeartful - I know it's not as nice as the reference manual, but you can run the adventures from the FG story entries until this has been investigated further.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I can also see significant slowing down when I got to a reference manual page that contains an image - especially the first page in each chapter as that contains an image of the map for that level. I see the slowdown for some of the other DCC adventures I own as well (DCC #66.5 Doom of the Savage Kings and DCC #67 Sailors on the Starless Sea) but not for adventures that come with the rulebook - Keep off the Borderlands, for example.

We've had some issues with certain types of black & white images in the past and I'm wondering if this might be the case here too, especially as the three adventures that I have the same issue with are converted by the same FG community dev - so it may be that the type of image encoding for these adventures is causing an overhead in FG. Unfortunately, I don't have full access to the modules, so I can't look at the encoding used for the images. Hopefully an FG dev will pick this up to look at.

@coffeeartful - I know it's not as nice as the reference manual, but you can run the adventures from the FG story entries until this has been investigated further.
    Most of the images in this module were grayscale JPGs. They've been updated to be RGB images which addresses the load time issues. The changes have been committed and should be fixed in the next update.

@Trenloe - I'll take a look at the other modules (DCC 66.5 and DCC 67) as soon as I get a chance. [EDIT: Those modules have now been updated and committed.]
    Last edited by pindercarl; August 20th, 2024 at 01:15.

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    Most of the images in this module were grayscale JPGs. They've been updated to be RGB images which addresses the load time issues. The changes have been committed and should be fixed in the next update.

@Trenloe - I'll take a look at the other modules (DCC 66.5 and DCC 67) as soon as I get a chance. [EDIT: Those modules have now been updated and committed.]
    Thanks so much for jumping on this Carl - much appreciated!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

A fix for this issue was just pushed (the image format itself is slow to be processed; images updated to modern format). Please run a new Check for Updates to get the updated version.

Regards,
    JPG

great! thanks! I think the problem is solved

Thread Information