Dungeons & Dragons 2024 Core Rulebooks Pre-Order

Calculation of Base Movement Rate

I am trying to reconcile the calculation of BMR in FGU/RMC with my understanding of the RMC rules. IIRC, BMR should be

BMR = 50 + Stride modification + QuBonus - MAX[0;(EncumbrancePenalty + ArmorPenalty - StrengthBonus)]

For one of my PC, I get the BMR as in the attached screenshot.

BMR.jpg

According to the above formula, it should be (He is 5'9'' tall, which is a -5 Stride Modification according to Character Law. He is carrying 2.5 times his weight allowance, which should be a -20 Encumbrance Penalty before StrengthBonus offset. He is wearing AT 5):

BMR = 50 -5 +20 -MAX[0;(20 + 0 - 5)] = 45 + 20 -15 = 50

However, as you see in the screenshot, FGU/RMC is calculating rather BMR = 40 + 20 -15 = 45. The first figure that FGU/RMC displays is labelled "Race/Height", i.e. it combines the average racial movement rate with the Stride Modifier. Whereas that value would be 45 (According to Character Law: 50 for common men, -5 for a size of 5'9''), it is shown as 40. So it seems that it is either using 45 as the average BMR for a Common Man (instead of 50), or it is deducting a Stride Modification of -10 for a hight of 5'9'' (instead of -5).

What am I misunderstanding here?
    Last edited by jowe01; August 16th, 2024 at 11:09.

Greetings,

I've tried recreating your character to see what I can find, but it seems to working just fine.
    image_2024-08-16_090119990.png

I also tried fiddling with the options but that didn't work either.
    I can only assume it has someting to do with an effect on your character or a module. Please check both.

Samzagas

Hi jowe01,

Can you export the character for me and upload it to this thread so I can try to see what is happen?

Thanks,
    Dakadin

Quote Originally Posted by Dakadin View Post
    Hi jowe01,

Can you export the character for me and upload it to this thread so I can try to see what is happen?

Thanks,
    Dakadin
    Of course. Here he is.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Samzagas View Post
    Greetings,

I've tried recreating your character to see what I can find, but it seems to working just fine.
    image_2024-08-16_090119990.png

I also tried fiddling with the options but that didn't work either.
    I can only assume it has someting to do with an effect on your character or a module. Please check both.

Samzagas
    Quite strange. Seems indeed to be the same setup of the PC. Let us see if Dakadin finds out what is causing this.

Hi jowe01,

I see the issue. For the inches you are using 2 apostrophes (') instead of the quote (") symbol so the code isn't figuring out the inches right. It see the character has 5' so has a -10 stride modifier. If you change it to the quote symbol and open the Move & Init detail again it should resolve the issue for you. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin

Hi Dakadin,
    you are - again - perfectly right. I come from a country that uses the metric system, so I never learned about yards and inches in school. I was convinced that the '' was actually 2 times the '. Never even occurred to me that it could be something else. Sorry ....!

Thank you very much for your help. This is really an excellent, very helpful forum.

Thread Information