DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Call of Cthulhu 7e Occupations and Skills Questions / Problems

Some of this might be my lack of knowledge, so excuse me, but as a new Keeper with FG, it's challenging to know what may be a problem versus my lack of knowledge. Please note that the "Book Dealer" occupation is only in the Investigators Handbook, but the Librarian spoke about below I tried to use it from all three loaded books: PC Reference, Reference, and Investigators Handbook, with the same outcomes.

1. I have a player with a character who is a Book Dealer (I also found the same thing happens to Librarians at least, but I couldn't find any other occupations with Language Other). When I drag/drop that occupation on the character's occupation slot, they do not get an Occupation skill of "Lang—Other," so they cannot put any points in that skill from Occupation. I also can't click the Occupation box to make it an Occupation skill on the GM or player sides. So, she cannot apply any occupation skills to that "language other" line item. This then leads to my next problem, number 2 below.

2. I then tried to create a skill called "Test" and thought I could make it an occupation skill. I realized that's not how that works. Continuing along that line of thought, though, I was able to create an occupation (called test occupation). The problem with this solution is I cannot pick my test skill as an occupation for my test occupation. So, even with my version of an occupation, I hoped to solve the problem, but that did not work. This is troublesome if someone wants to create a skill and link it to an occupation as an occupation skill.

3. So while testing I had put that new test skill on my character, and now I cannot remove it, it's there forever even though I have removed that skill from skills (deleted it). I cannot remove it from the character sheet because when you edit the skills, it does not have the removal red "delete item" icon beside it. Do I have to recreate the entire character to fix this?

Hope that's clear, and I look forward to hearing possibilities. I think I could over apply skills enough to use the ones from Occupation as a hack, but it would be nice if there was a solid way to do this as this will be a large campaign I would like to have them adjust skills as we go and advance their characters during downtime.
    My Youtube Channel for Tech / Gaming Tutorials / RPG Streams
    Discord Bot for Syrinscape with Kenku Tutorial
    My Website location

I had searched about language problems and a few other things before posting, but eventually, paging through manually, I read a few different posts in the forum and saw someone adding an occupation on someone's sheet in a YouTube video just now; I found that you have to type the other language in the occupation instance created for that character for it to show up. It's odd because the Lang-Own didn't need this, making it confusing. Thus it's primarily due to user error, learning the ruleset, and the FG quirks!

I also read some posts from Damned (Thank you!) about editing Era and Occupations, so I probably was doing things wrong there as well. However, I still don't fully understand creating custom occupations and skills together, and I will not step into that realm of foolery again for now. :-)
    Last edited by Amerisun; August 11th, 2024 at 21:44.
    My Youtube Channel for Tech / Gaming Tutorials / RPG Streams
    Discord Bot for Syrinscape with Kenku Tutorial
    My Website location

Blog Entries
    Hi Amerisun coding the CoC7E ruleset to support the occupation points was quite a challenge especially for all those skills that have specialties. The current system is a little quirky but does work!

Thread Information