GI JOE RPG Launch
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    Yes, there has suddenly been a lot of hand-waving about how old content is now "backward compatible" with new content in ways they weren't talking about before. We've been switching gears internally to adapt where we can. With our current iteration, we'll be layering 2024 content directly into current ruleset, but having to add versions to each record type affected.

As for the "conversion" that they are talking about in the various interviews, it's much easier to hand-wave this stuff and just say to "fix it at the table", than it is to automate it. We'll look at what we can do to make this easier, instead of having to "fix it at the table".

Regards,
    JPG

That's good news to hear but I do not envy this task! Thanks for the reply Moon!

Willl there be an OGL (or equivalent version) set release with bare bones races, class, spells, etc? I'm holding out on converting as it gets dropped but I'd like to play around with how it all interacts (i.e. with older modules, etc) beforehand. Even without drag and drop options (I can always just create those myself), I can at least get the feel of what all it'd take to convert older stuff (assuming I have to do any).

Quote Originally Posted by ProfDogg View Post
    Willl there be an OGL (or equivalent version) set release with bare bones races, class, spells, etc? I'm holding out on converting as it gets dropped but I'd like to play around with how it all interacts (i.e. with older modules, etc) beforehand. Even without drag and drop options (I can always just create those myself), I can at least get the feel of what all it'd take to convert older stuff (assuming I have to do any).
    If it follows the 5e pattern then any OGL would be published a couple of years after the core rules. But really you'd need to direct that question at WotC.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

SRD 5.2 is supposed to be published "within weeks" of the official release of the Monster Manual in 2025, with CC-BY-4.0 licensing.

They haven't said much about what'll be in it, although with origin feats now being a standard thing rather than feats entirely being an optional rule you'd hope that there'd be more than just 'Grappler'.

( https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1717...expand-the-srd -- May 2024, but I'm not aware of them issuing any later statements that would alter this )

To follow up on discussions on Discord, the original strategy I had outlined at beginning of thread was based on the initial information we received on a clear distinction between character material for 2014 vs. 2024. Based on additional information we got as well as a lot of changing of minds during subsequent interviews by the publisher, we pivoted to take a different approach.

Our current plan is that the 5E ruleset will remain in place; and all records affected by the rules changes will be marked as 2024 vs. 2014. This will flow into character creation as well.
    (i.e. 2024 versions of classes will add 2024 version of spells and vice versa) As mentioned in this thread, we will be looking at the "cross-compatibility" handling between versions, but that may take a little longer.

Regards,
    JPG

I've been following this thread out of curiosity and, while it is still somewhat TBD, I'm glad to hear this update. I have several campaigns in progress that I'm considering moving to the 2024 core rules, however, many of the characters have subclasses that are only available in the 2014 rules. My expectation, based on info from WotC, is that I can use the 2024 classes with the 2014 subclasses. I would hope that FGU makes it easy to do this as well. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    To follow up on discussions on Discord, the original strategy I had outlined at beginning of thread was based on the initial information we received on a clear distinction between character material for 2014 vs. 2024. Based on additional information we got as well as a lot of changing of minds during subsequent interviews by the publisher, we pivoted to take a different approach.

Our current plan is that the 5E ruleset will remain in place; and all records affected by the rules changes will be marked as 2024 vs. 2014. This will flow into character creation as well.
    (i.e. 2024 versions of classes will add 2024 version of spells and vice versa) As mentioned in this thread, we will be looking at the "cross-compatibility" handling between versions, but that may take a little longer.

Regards,
    JPG
    Any and all updates on this matter would be highly appreciated as I have a streamed game using FGU that I am hoping to have both 2014 and 2024 content side by side as per the 2024 guidelines for doing this and I am hoping FGU will be able to follow suit. I'm sure this is a huge headache but if anyone can do it, the FGU team can!

Thanks for the update! This sounds like it'll be super convenient for pre-existing campaigns!

To the FGU Team, we saw yesterday, I believe, that DnDbeyond was removing all the digital content from the 2014 books for all spells and magic items. All of my purchased content is on this platform. I know reading the thread that the plan here seems to be to merge the two versions, but could something similar have to happen with FG’s content with regard to a full removal of that same data? It just seems to appear that WotC is forcing the move over to OneDnD, and this trend will follow as they move towards the new version of the Monster Manual next spring. Suddenly, “backwards compatible” doesn’t sound as likely.

Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread Information