GI JOE RPG Launch
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Rappan Athuk?

Rappan Athuk?

Do I remember reading that there was a conversion of Rappan Athuk to S&W being worked on? Is there any update or date it's expected to be available?

Damn it jim!!!

I'm the guy working on it for own game group. I am not affiliated with Mythmere Games or Fantasy Grounds. Slowly but surely. I'm using the 2012 version of the Rappan Athuk for Swords & Wizardry as my source document. Obviously I am using the S&W White Box ruleset in Fantasy Grounds Unity and I also reference Swords & Wizardry Revised Complete. For any missing info I look at other versions of Rappan Athuk, like the Pathfinder 1e, or the D&D 5e version, or the OGL websites. I also started referencing Swords & Wizardry Fiends & Foes book.

As of this writing, I am currently on Page 111 for the conversion.

Completed:

Level Tribute........................................... ............................................ p. 4
    Introduction...................................... .................................................. p. 6
    Wilderness Areas: Dying Outside the Dungeon......................................... p. 12
    Ground Level: The Sunken Graveyard and the Mausoleum......................... p. 38
    Level 0A: The Cavern of the Kraken............................................ ............ p. 43
    Level 0B: The Cloister of the Frog-God............................................... ......p. 49
    Level 0C: Zelkor’s Ferry............................................. ........................... p. 77
    Level 1: The Lair of the “Dung Monster”.......................................... ........ p. 85
    Level 1A: The Temple of Final Sacrament......................................... .........p. 90
    Level 1B: The Bastion........................................... ................................ p. 96
    Level 1C: The Mouth of Doom.............................................. ....................p. 102

Appendix A: New Monsters .................................................. ................. p. 418
    Appendix B: Gods and Demons of Stoneheart Valley .................................p. 428
    Appendix C: Pre-Gens .................................................. ........................ p. 433
    Appendix E: The Faithful of Orcus and Tsathogga ......................................p. 479
    Legal Appendix .................................................. ..................................p. 489

Currently working on the following:

Level 2: Marthek’s Place and Ambro’s Base.............................................. ..p. 109

I work on the conversion periodically (real life always impacts Hobby Time) and am an amateur at best with FGU. I work on one Level or section at a time and look at it like a module in an of itself. This will make it easier for exporting when I finish.

To familiarize myself with the S&W White Box Ruleset, I converted Legacy of Blackscale Lagoon released by Mythmere for the Swords & Wizardry Revised Complete Kickstarter. Again this was for my own use. I am currently running that module, however, I intend to start running Rappan Athuk this month (August) with my gaming group once they complete Legacy.

If there is any interest, I'm happy to update my progress on the conversion as well as the forthcoming party's journey through the Dungeon of the Graves. Thanks and have a great game! God bless!
    Fantasy Grounds II Ultimate License Holder
    Castles & Crusades Ruleset
    Savage Worlds Deluxe Ruleset
    Mutants & Masterminds 3e Ruleset
    Dungeons & Dragons 5e Ruleset
    Pathfinder 1e Ruleset
    Dungeons & Dragons Classics - AD&D 1e/2e Ruleset
    Dungeon Crawl Classics Ruleset
    Swords & Wizardry Ruleset

Currently Running: S&W Complete (Blackscale Lagoon)

Blog Entries
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...?id=FGGFG5ERA2

This will get you a large portion of the way there. You'd have to use the Universal Module extension and add in your monsters, treasures etc... for the ruleset you want to use, but the maps would be done, the room descriptions, even the encounters would be made, you'd just have to do the substitution for the ruleset.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

JohnD

Thanks. I picked up the 5e version of Rappan Athuk for FGU a while back. I like 5e, but, wanted to run it in Swords & Wizardry capturing that 1974 to 1978 feel and all the nuance of resource management, henchmen, followers, and character death that comes along with it.

Nevertheless, while I've seen the 'Universal Module Extension' bandy about, I am not that familiar with it other than you should theoretically be able to play any adventure interchangeably with any system as long as you do some conversion work.

I'm assuming that I would need to create a new campaign in Core RPG and then go from there? If there is a forum link or something please direct me to it.

As it is, I don't relish the idea of starting over. I'm only about a 1/4 of the way there, but that was a lot. Thoughts?
    Pathfinder 1e Ruleset

Quote Originally Posted by TheMetal1 View Post
    Nevertheless, while I've seen the 'Universal Module Extension' bandy about, I am not that familiar with it other than you should theoretically be able to play any adventure interchangeably with any system as long as you do some conversion work.

I'm assuming that I would need to create a new campaign in Core RPG and then go from there? If there is a forum link or something please direct me to it.

As it is, I don't relish the idea of starting over. I'm only about a 1/4 of the way there, but that was a lot. Thoughts?
    Find the Universal Module here: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/266/view

You can enable it in your campaign where you have all your Rappan Athuk data and access maps, images, etc. from the Rappan Athuk DLC that will work OK with the ruleset you're using.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

JohnD,

Ok, found the Universal Module Extension in the Forge and downloaded it. Opened up a new Campaign it to try it out. A quick test is it looks like I'll have to add all the details to a lot of the encounters and NPCs. Interesting. I'll have to consider it. Having all the maps done to standard would be a huge boon. Thank you.
    Pathfinder 1e Ruleset

Update:

I completed the data input (Encounters, Items, NPCs, Parcels, Story and Tables) for the following, however, I still need to do the maps, which is an intense process.

Level 2: Marthek’s Place and Ambro’s Base.............................................. p. 109
    Level 2A: Teleportals....................................... .....................................p. 115

Started work on the following:
    Level 2B: The Demon’s Gullet............................................ ................... p. 119
    Pathfinder 1e Ruleset

Blog Entries
    I have done a lot of the 5e FGG conversions in the store for Fantasy Grounds. I started exactly like you did, converted modules for my players and then signed up as a developer with Smiteworks.

If you look at the 5e credits for Rappan Athuk, you will see my name as a 5e convertor (the book, not the FG module). Again, that was just bugging Bill about an earlier one and he basically told me to just join in and help if I thought I could do it better.

:-)
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information