Cosmere RPG Beta Launch

How Trait Rolls Work for Innocent Bystander (etc.)

This is from an ongoing discussion on Discord about the Trait Rolls extension (originally written by Ikael as a tutorial on extension writing, and taken up by ragnarol).

Innocent Bystander rules:

On ranged attacks, if you roll a 1 on an attack roll, even if its not a critical fail, you can end up hitting Innocent Bystanders. For shotgun and guns with a RoF 2 or higher, a roll of 1 or 2 also has a chance to hit Innocent Bystanders.

This is actually built into FG SWADE. All weapons have a default Fumble of 1. If the weapon trait die is a 1 it will say in chat "Trait roll was a 1". Also, all weapons like machine guns will only have a RoF 1 when added to an actor (character or npc). So once its added to the actor, a machine gun with a RoF 3 will need you to edit the weapon on the Combat tab.

You right click and set the ?? dice to the RoF (same as with a Wild Attack).

While you are on the tab doing this modification, you need to go into the weapon details and edit the Fumble to 2.

This is where the default ruleset comes in. It will now report in chat "Trait roll was a 1", or "Trait roll was a 2".

This is why Lonewolf was saying the extension is not needed. Technically, it is not needed as the ruleset will report correctly if you set up the weapons correctly, but lots of users don't know about sub-attacks and editing the output, so having this option to report Trait roll results is good for new users (and old users like me that didn't understand this).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Savage Rifts© on Fantasy Grounds Store
    Ultimate Edition Fantasy Grounds - ONLY ON Linux
    Twitch Channel

I'll leave some of my other questions aside on how to manipulate all this for certain situations, eg Edge and Effect coding, and ask a couple more direct questions related to what you have summarized here.

1. Is there a similar solution to allow this for non-weapon usage (other than the extension)? eg. Trigger the "Trait Roll was a natural X" text when rolling Strength or Athletics for instance; If all you needed this for was weapons, then I would agree the extension is not needed....we can debate whether the available solution is ideal or not but it is indeed not required; however for other rolls? I don't know how otherwise.
    2. It's my understanding that when you put a weapon into a character inventory it automatically creates the corresponding attack.
      • Is there a way to set up the weapon such that the sub-attacks automatically get created for the various likely sub-attacks that would go with it when you know these situations will arise that would require creation of sub-attacks to handle them?
      • Is there a way to drag a weapon into the sub attack field such that you could pre-define the 'alternate weapon' and drag that vs. create the sub-attack manually? I think if you do this, instead of populating the sub-attack it creates a new separate attack instead?

Last edited by Arsilon; July 21st, 2024 at 14:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsilon View Post
    I'll leave some of my other questions aside on how to manipulate all this for certain situations, eg Edge and Effect coding, and ask a couple more direct questions related to what you have summarized here.

1. Is there a similar solution to allow this for non-weapon usage (other than the extension)? eg. Trigger the "Trait Roll was a natural X" text when rolling Strength or Athletics for instance; If all you needed this for was weapons, then I would agree the extension is not needed....we can debate whether the available solution is ideal or not but it is indeed not required; however for other rolls? I don't know how otherwise.
    2. It's my understanding that when you put a weapon into a character inventory it automatically creates the corresponding attack.
      • Is there a way to set up the weapon such that the sub-attacks automatically get created for the various likely sub-attacks that would go with it when you know these situations will arise that would require creation of sub-attacks to handle them?
      • Is there a way to drag a weapon into the sub attack field such that you could pre-define the 'alternate weapon' and drag that vs. create the sub-attack manually? I think if you do this, instead of populating the sub-attack it creates a new separate attack instead?

1. Trait Roll extension shows all the trait roll for everything - Skills, Attributes and Combat/Powers.
    2. There is no automatic sub-attack creation, player and GM need to set those up, and dragging a weapon to the combat tab will create a new entry, no sub-attacks.

There are so many variables, sub-attacks let you set up as needed.
    Savage Rifts© on Fantasy Grounds Store
    Ultimate Edition Fantasy Grounds - ONLY ON Linux
    Twitch Channel

Thread Information