DICE PACKS BUNDLE

FGU New install - updater fails

I am installing FGU an running into some issues.
    After the initial install, C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds is created containing the FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe, install.log, and the FGUpdaterEngine sub-directory. UnityPlayer.dll exists in the FGUpdaterEngine sub-directory only.

After finishing install, it launches the Fantasy Grounds Updater, checks directories, and then I log in.
    A minute after the updater is running I get the error "The code execution cannot proceed because UnityPlayer.dll was not found. Reinstall the program may fix this problem."
    Looking through the directories, some new files/directories are created - but the UnityPlayer.dll that was in FGUpdaterEnginer sub-directory was deleted.
    I also noticed a new directory called FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW and the UnityPlayer.dll is in the sub-directory FGUpdateEngine within this now.

If I run the updater from this directory (inside the "NEW") it appears to run successfully, but after the update when FGU launches - it throws the error:

Application folder:
    C:/Program Files/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/FGUpdaterEngine
    There should be 'FGUpdaterEngine_Data'
    folder next to the executable

It seems that there may be some in process changes that found their way to the release that may not have been completed...

I hope this information is clear and helpful in fixing the issue!
    Thanks!
    DeadEnd
    Last edited by DeadEndz; July 19th, 2024 at 14:35.

This is usually an indication that security software on your machine has decided to block certain operations on disk. I would delete the installation folder, run a new Update, and check any security software that you have running to see if it has blocked any files from being installed.

Regards,
    JPG

Thank you for this information.
    This system is a fresh windows 11 install - I think the only protection it has is default windows defender.
    I'll start digging to see if I can find anything in logs to decipher what is causing the failure...

Ah - should have noticed there was an updater log... it has the errors right in it...

ARGS:
    Waiting on FGUpdaterEngine to close.
    CheckNewUpdater(): True
    New Updater Valid: True
    Recursive Delete: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine
    Deleting parent C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine
    Could not delete parent: 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine' System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'FGUpdaterEngine.exe' is denied.
    at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound, WIN32_FIND_DATA& data)
    at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
    at FantasyGroundsUpdater.Program.RecursiveDelete(Stri ng deleteDir, Boolean deleteParent)
    Error: Could not delete path 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine' Another program may be accessing this folder, please make sure FantasyGrounds and FGUpdaterEngine are closed and relaunch FantasyGroundsUpdater. If this does not work, please try deleting the folder manually. If this fails, please restart computer and relaunch FantasyGroundsUpdater.
    RecursiveCopy: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW - C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\MonoBleedingEdge
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\EmbedRuntime
    Copying files from 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW' to 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\'
    Failed to copy files. System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\\FGUpdaterEngine\FGUpdaterEngine.exe' because it is being used by another process.
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
    at FantasyGroundsUpdater.Program.RecursiveCopy(String sourceDir, String destDir)
    Please restart computer (to ensure no files are being accessed by another program) and relaunch FantasyGroundsUpdater
    Error: Could not copy 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW' to 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\
    Launch C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine\FGUpdaterEngine.exe

So - somehow it is failing due to another process holding the objects.
    I'll try deleting the directory - restarting and running the installer again - sounds like I'm close to the cause and solution.

Thanks again!
    DeadEnd
    Last edited by DeadEndz; July 19th, 2024 at 17:22.

Another follow up... deleted all files - restarted - installed without starting anything - same failure.
    Error log is different though:

ARGS: -i
    Waiting on FGUpdaterEngine to close.
    CheckNewUpdater(): True
    New Updater Valid: True
    Recursive Delete: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine
    Deleting parent C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine
    Could not delete parent: 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine' System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'FGUpdaterEngine.exe' is denied.
    at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound, WIN32_FIND_DATA& data)
    at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
    at FantasyGroundsUpdater.Program.RecursiveDelete(Stri ng deleteDir, Boolean deleteParent)
    Error: Could not delete path 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine' Another program may be accessing this folder, please make sure FantasyGrounds and FGUpdaterEngine are closed and relaunch FantasyGroundsUpdater. If this does not work, please try deleting the folder manually. If this fails, please restart computer and relaunch FantasyGroundsUpdater.
    RecursiveCopy: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW - C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine_Data
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\MonoBleedingEdge
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\Managed
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\Resources
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\StreamingAssets
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\EmbedRuntime
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\etc
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\mono
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\2.0
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\4.0
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\4.5
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\mconfig
    Create Dir: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\Browsers
    Copying files from 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW' to 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\'
    Failed to copy files. System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\\FGUpdaterEngine\FGUpdaterEngine.exe' because it is being used by another process.
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
    at FantasyGroundsUpdater.Program.RecursiveCopy(String sourceDir, String destDir)
    Please restart computer (to ensure no files are being accessed by another program) and relaunch FantasyGroundsUpdater
    Error: Could not copy 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW' to 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\
    Launch C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGUpdaterEngine\FGUpdaterEngine.exe -i

SO - I restarted again and ran the updater again as the log suggested - and this time it did not throw any errors.
    It would seem that the application using the files - was FGU/the installer itself!
    After a restart it was able to finish without error.

Very odd - but at least it was now successful.

Thank you again for the direction - glad I got it sorted.

- DeadEnd

Thanks for letting us know where it ended up. It's strange that the updater would have been blocking itself; unless maybe there were two running in memory at the same time somehow. Maybe some sort of backup system or other file system tool was trying to access too? At any rate, glad it's sorted.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Are you installing on a live sync'd location? Like do you have your whole C: drive on Google Drive or such?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

No, pretty basic setup really.
    Just an standard SSD installed on a laptop.
    No cloud, no raid, nothing fancy.

- DeadEnd

Thread Information