DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Damage and Heal Chat Commands

Not to step on dsaraujo's toes - they are wonderful and their extension is wonderful - but I find myself using their /dmg and /heal chat commands a lot. The ability to quickly generate arbitrary typed damage is incredibly useful, and helps handle some edge cases that automation simply can't.

I'm currently working on a project that involves automating a lot of spells, and for some of the weirder ones I find myself including notes to the effect of "this is impossible to automate, but if you have the GM Enhancement Extension, /dmg is really helpful for this".

All of this is to say, is there any possibility of those commands becoming core functionality at some point? I really feel like Fantasy Grounds benefits from them.

Never say never... At this point, the code is in the vault so I can't review it - and then I'd need the author's permission to use any portion of the code (in theory I don't "need" it, as per the FG coding EULA, but I personally feel I need to request permission to use someone else's code - especially from a Forge product in the vault), and then make sure the code doesn't clash with the GM enhancement extension. Like I say, never say never, but there are a few hoops that would have to be jumped through...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    (in theory I don't "need" it, as per the FG coding EULA, but I personally feel I need to request permission to use someone else's code - especially from a Forge product in the vault)
    Mad respect for this, by the way.

And I definitely understand there being hoops and the like. Honestly the only reason I asked is because I feel weird putting what amounts to "you should go buy this extension to make this spell easier to automate" into what might end up being a published product... but also the /dmg command is so incredibly helpful that it feels like a disservice to not include such a note vs just saying "this can't be automated, sorry".

Anyway, just my two cents.

Just saw this, and hopefully I can find a way to add some of the extension functionality to the ruleset without adding even more (significant) work to Trenloe.
    Daniel Salles de Araújo (@dsaraujo)
    Developer of PFRPG2 GM Enhancements - Improve your Pathfinder 2E game!
    Check out the Pathfinder Deck of Endless NPCs!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAstro View Post
    All of this is to say, is there any possibility of those commands becoming core functionality at some point? I really feel like Fantasy Grounds benefits from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsaraujo View Post
    Just saw this, and hopefully I can find a way to add some of the extension functionality to the ruleset without adding even more (significant) work to Trenloe.
    Daniel's chat command code will be available in the base PFRPG2 ruleset with tomorrow's update. Thank you so much Daniel for allowing me, and helping me, to use your code.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

That's absolutely fantastic... and now I have to go rewrite a bunch of developer notes. XD

Damnit, Trenloe, you are too helpful! That's the second time I've had to do significant rewrites on this project because you added really good features that didn't exist when I started. :P

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAstro View Post
    Damnit, Trenloe, you are too helpful! That's the second time I've had to do significant rewrites on this project because you added really good features that didn't exist when I started. :P
    I feel your pain...

Great news!
    Daniel Salles de Araújo (@dsaraujo)
    Developer of PFRPG2 GM Enhancements - Improve your Pathfinder 2E game!
    Check out the Pathfinder Deck of Endless NPCs!

Fantastic news, thanks!
    “He says gods like having an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at.”

Terry Pratchett [RIP] - Small Gods

Great stuff!

I just played around with this a bit and noticed a few things (sorry, I worked in QA for 12+ years )

When typing /xp, there is no help text coming up.

When using /atk, the damage is sometimes rolled first, but not always. I'm unsure exactly why but I've had it both ways. It would be preferable if the attack was always the first one to be rolled to have a consistent order.

I think it would also be useful to be able to do /atk +10, 3d6+3 instead of having to write out an attack name and "Damage" (if you don't specify an attack name, the bonus won't be added to the dice; if you don't write Damage, the command won't work). Or even a simple /atk +10 as we already have a damage command.

In any case these are more wishlist things, not something that is strictly necessary. Thank you again for the implementation, this is really helpful!
    Help Fantasy Grounds get better: Write and vote on feature requests!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information