5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Just to be clear, none of this is set in stone; but is based on how the books are shaping up based on the reading of the material. Also, some of these comments and first thoughts may change as we get closer to implementation. We'll be talking more internally as the system develops to make sure we have the best coverage without impacting the users as much as possible while keeping things manageable. It's definitely a balancing act. We'll have more to share as the PHB gets closer to launch; but we literally just got the preliminary book materials about a week ago.

Regards,
    JPG

Greece & Iceland, depending on the time of year.
    It's good to know that this is an evolving effort.

Understand that I completely understand the practical limitations (primarily those imposed by launch date time constraints) involved in such an undertaking. I'm just pointing out a few (or rather just one) aspect that I personally believe (and could be wrong) that would be important for many people thinking about making the jump to the 2024 rules (oh, let's call it what it is; it's 5.5 :P ).

Do you expect it will be possible to migrate an existing 5e campaign to the new ruleset (minus the characters), or will this likely require creating a new campaign and manually moving content over?

Quote Originally Posted by albrecd View Post
    Do you expect it will be possible to migrate an existing 5e campaign to the new ruleset (minus the characters), or will this likely require creating a new campaign and manually moving content over?
    As far as we know at this time the ruleset will be new so you would need to start a new campaign with the new ruleset to get the functionality of the new ruleset. It may then be possible to copy the db.xml from an existing 5e campaign into that new campaign. But at this time that's speculation.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

While we plan to allow the 5E modules to be loaded; my main concern with any sort of migration is that characters are built differently in the new version, and the new version ruleset will be focused on levelling/managing character data for new characters, not for characters built with old rules.

Regards,
    JPG

Yeah definitely not expecting character migration to make sense. Any campaign / story / maps that can be transferred would be great (so copying the database is probably what I'm looking for), but I get that it's going to be a fully different ruleset and that might not be possible.

Thank you both, and thanks for all of the work going into getting this ready for September!

Yeah I have held off on building my next campaign until the new ruleset is released. I've started sketching my ideas out in Word for now, and collecting various maps/images I plan on using. I think importing images and text-based story entries would probably work, but NPCs might be challenging to import because of the changes that WotC is making to the creature statblock format. And of course player characters are going to be completely different as noted above. I don't think I've seen any changes to how lighting, special forms of vision, and cover/line of effect work, but if any of that did change then those features would probably have to be redone in any maps brought over.

I assume that the ruleset will be available for the construction of new campaigns in September, although obviously the new magic items won't be available until November and monsters until next February. Presumably any SRD/basic rules wouldn't be posted until all three of those books are released, although I am not 100% certain about that.
    Last edited by Lazybones1969; July 12th, 2024 at 18:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazybones1969 View Post
    Yeah I have held off on building my next campaign until the new ruleset is released. I've started sketching my ideas out in Word for now, and collecting various maps/images I plan on using. I think importing images and text-based story entries would probably work, but NPCs might be challenging to import because of the changes that WotC is making to the creature statblock format. And of course player characters are going to be completely different as noted above. I don't think I've seen any changes to how lighting, special forms of vision, and cover/line of effect work, but if any of that did change then those features would probably have to be redone in any maps brought over.

I assume that the ruleset will be available for the construction of new campaigns in September, although obviously the new magic items won't be available until November and monsters until next February. Presumably any SRD/basic rules wouldn't be posted until all three of those books are released, although I am not 100% certain about that.
    For the most part, NPCs are already accepted and incorporated into the Core 5e system. This happened with the Monsters of the Multiverse format. The changes are not too big stat block wise. The FG 5e importer tool works with legacy and newer MotM formatted NPC stat blocks. THe bigger changes are with player facing stuff.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

http://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Don't know if this would help or not but there is the Universal Module extension that Damned put on the forge
    Here's the link to the Forge page: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/266/view

Thread Information