Dungeons & Dragons 2024 Core Rulebooks Pre-Order

Thread: level of terain

level of terain

Hi all. Could you please advise if there is an area level to see the area while on elevated ground?

I will try to describe in detail. In FG, there is an opportunity to put walls (terrain ), when you go to this terrain you see the terrain inside the object and the terrain next to it. Let's say there is such a terrain with stones and next to this stone rock. When you climb on the rock - the object in the form of a stone blocks the view, as if it is higher than the rock.
    That's why this question came up
    example.png
    Last edited by SumalyFly; July 9th, 2024 at 09:02.

Welcome to the forums.

It's difficult to represent height accurately on a 2d map and FG has no understanding of height. You can use terrain, or pits to do some things to sort of represent height and you can switch terrain off and on which can help. But there's not really a sure fire way to represent climbing onto something and being able to see the terrain below and then climbing down and not being able to see the terrain above.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

It's difficult to represent height accurately on a 2d map and FG has no understanding of height. You can use terrain, or pits to do some things to sort of represent height and you can switch terrain off and on which can help. But there's not really a sure fire way to represent climbing onto something and being able to see the terrain below and then climbing down and not being able to see the terrain above.
    @Zacchaeus, actually, this problem would be solved by the layer level feature that you do the elevation yourself. When a layer "tag" is at level, say, 0 with the location of another "tag" (level 1) that has a legacy on object(level 0,1) that gives the layer level then the terrain of layer 0 and 1 is visible from layer 1, but from layer 0 is not. If developers FG coulded add something like this it would be great.

Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by SumalyFly; July 9th, 2024 at 11:12.

Blog Entries
    Yes it could be solved. The math for such things is "known". But FG does not currently do this. There are more aspects to consider than just the math.

I believe there are already one or two ideas for this on the Feature Request list. You can search for and find them here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featurerequests

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

If it helps I have had some success in the past layering pits ontop of each other to get a multi-layer map to work, though you do need to plan ahead a good bit becuase I think the order does matter (I don't recally if it was layer level or order of placement that did it). I also remember the way I got an area elevated using a pit was to run the edge of a line pit to the edges of the screen, to effectively mark the whole map except a small area as a pit.

Would it be possible to add a new option to each layer to allow it to be visible to individual PCs, similar to the GM view option? Radial menu I think would be the best option (if that is even possible on the layer list).

Blog Entries
    Most anything is possible. If you can think of it and derive the conditions logically, it can be programmed. That doesn't mean it would be practical or reasonable tough.

Put your idea on the Request List, that way other users can vote on it and the devs can track it and evaluate all the ideas.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information