DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Race/Class errors -5e

Hello all,
    I have a couple of console errors that I'm getting in the 5e ruleset:

When I click on the "OTHER" tab on the RACE window I get:
    [ERROR] Failed to load script buffer (W:reference_race_main): [string "W:reference_race_main"]:9: 'end' expected (to close 'function' at line 5) near '<eof>'

and
    When I click on the "OTHER" tab on the CLASS window I get:
    [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "W:reference_class_main"]:22: attempt to index global 'specializations' (a nil value)

I'm not necessarily asking for the fix but, to learn the mechanism for WHY the errors are occurring

reference_class_main is cited in record_class.xml and record_class.xml respectively, but I'm not finding the root of the error in either case. The character window populates as expected but throws a console error.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
    Ultimate License Holder- Playin' D&D since '79, GMing since '81 and still rockin' the geriatric crowd.

I'm not seeing this. Are you using any extensions? Have you tested in a new campaign without extensions?

If that isn't the issue can you say which particular races/classes are giving you the error and from which module/
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks Zacchaeus,
    This is in a custom ruleset based on the 5e ruleset. All of the races/classes are custom and all throw the same error.
    I probably posted this to the wrong board, and should have posted to the ruleset/development section.

Like I said, looking more for the "why" it would happen, rather than the fix at this point.

Thanks again

Moving this to the Workshop forum...
    Last edited by Weepdrag; July 2nd, 2024 at 00:48.
    Ultimate License Holder- Playin' D&D since '79, GMing since '81 and still rockin' the geriatric crowd.

Race and class errors - modified 5e ruleset

Hello all,
    I have a couple of console errors that I'm getting in a modified 5e ruleset:

When I click on the "OTHER" tab on the RACE window I get:
    [ERROR] Failed to load script buffer (W:reference_race_main): [string "W:reference_race_main"]:9: 'end' expected (to close 'function' at line 5) near '<eof>'

and
    When I click on the "OTHER" tab on the CLASS window I get:
    [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "W:reference_class_main"]:22: attempt to index global 'specializations' (a nil value)

I'm not necessarily asking for the fix but, to learn the mechanism for WHY the errors are occurring

reference_class_main is cited in record_class.xml and record_class.xml respectively, but I'm not finding the root of the error in either case. The character window populates as expected but throws a console error.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Blog Entries
    Are you closing the function near line 5? It's the first error I would look into since it seems most specific.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

And the second error is happening because the specializations variable isn't found so it is a nil value. You will want to see that you are referring to it right or set it properly.

Thanks LordEntrails,
    I checked the record_class.xml and record_race.xml for open statements and couldn't find any. I'm pretty sure that I didn't make any changes to either of these files, and a compare with the original unedited 5e versions confirms it; And got the same errors when I replaced "my" files with the original 5e files. So, I'm thinking that it is a file that interacts with those files rather than the files themselves.

This seems to be my biggest problem; not knowing what interacts with what. I guess I need to create a road map

Thanks Dakadin,
    I'll go line by line tomorrow with fresh eyes.

Blog Entries
    With Notepad++ you can open all the ruleset files and do a find in all open files for the "reference_race_main"

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Weepdrag View Post
    Thanks LordEntrails,
    I checked the record_class.xml and record_race.xml for open statements and couldn't find any. I'm pretty sure that I didn't make any changes to either of these files, and a compare with the original unedited 5e versions confirms it; And got the same errors when I replaced "my" files with the original 5e files. So, I'm thinking that it is a file that interacts with those files rather than the files themselves.

This seems to be my biggest problem; not knowing what interacts with what. I guess I need to create a road map
    <windowclass name="reference_race_main"> has a <script> section - it is the code within this section that's raising the error.
    There is LUA code within <script>...</script> that is not properly formed - i.e. there's no "end" statement to close the function, or the XML isn't correctly formed so that the code cannot be read correctly.

A common error could be using the LUA "--" for a comment, and/or using > < for greater than/less than comparisons - both of which break XML. See information here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...#Using-Scripts
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information