2024 Summer Sale
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Dc20 rpg

Dc20 rpg

It looks like the DC20 kickstarter has included all major VTTs.. except Fantasy Grounds. Is that true? If so, this lack of participation is disappointing.

I saw someone in the community is porting the ruleset over.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...munity-Ruleset

I'd rather see an official ruleset. It seems like a good opportunity for FG to participate with a successful kickstarter like the other VTTs did. The overall lack of FG involvement with kickstarters does have me worried about long term viability.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilafron View Post
    I'd rather see an official ruleset. It seems like a good opportunity for FG to participate with a successful kickstarter like the other VTTs did. The overall lack of FG involvement with kickstarters does have me worried about long term viability.
    A great deal of the rulesets on FG are Community - like Savage Worlds for example. Doesn't make a difference who makes it, it will be on Fantasy Grounds.
    Savage Rifts© on Fantasy Grounds Store
    Ultimate Edition Fantasy Grounds - ONLY ON Linux
    Twitch Channel

The following was just announced by The Dungeon Coach;

Also BIG NEWS! I just got off a call with the Adam, who is the Chief Development Officer of FANTASY GROUNDS... he said they love what we are doing here and they want to get DC20 onto Fantasy Grounds VTT also!
    They wont be a part of the Kickstarter (this time) but after our talk it is 100% happening that they will be getting a developer to take on DC20 AND they even said they would oversee it personally themselves with code reviews and make sure it is running SMOOTH for yall!

So DC20 + Fantasy Grounds is now a thing too!

Thanks Adam and thanks Jarvin! I see you are working on the ruleset. I'm really glad to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvin View Post
    The following was just announced by The Dungeon Coach;

Also BIG NEWS! I just got off a call with the Adam, who is the Chief Development Officer of FANTASY GROUNDS... he said they love what we are doing here and they want to get DC20 onto Fantasy Grounds VTT also!
    They wont be a part of the Kickstarter (this time) but after our talk it is 100% happening that they will be getting a developer to take on DC20 AND they even said they would oversee it personally themselves with code reviews and make sure it is running SMOOTH for yall!

So DC20 + Fantasy Grounds is now a thing too!
    To provide some additional context to the comment posted here, I shared during our conversation that we naturally welcome DC20 to our platform, and if the Dungeon Coach would like to implement the system in Fantasy Grounds, we're (naturally) open to doing so.

Since the quoted text seems to indicate something a bit different, I'll clarify that I shared that we would try to help him find a community developer to make it happen, but that securing a developer is contingent on someone that is able to do it being available and having interest. I'm sharing that to make sure it's clear that we are not taking on this one within our team as we are engaged in other priorities. Hopefully a community developer will come forward and take it on, but if that doesn't happen, then DC20 won't happen either.

As for the comments about code reviews, etc., that's all part of our normal process for any community development of a ruleset that comes into the platform (so nothing out of the ordinary for us).

Having said the above, I hope we see DC20 on Fantasy Grounds. The full game sounds like it's not coming out for a year, so with that kind of time, if the interest in the game remains strong, I'm optimistic the Dungeon Coach will get a good developer to bring it to life.

Sounds like Elewyth is already working on it based on that link JustinFreitas posted up in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinFreitas View Post
    I saw someone in the community is porting the ruleset over.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...munity-Ruleset

What's the difference between this community made ruleset and the official partnership they have with other VTTs? Will there be pdfs or books available in those VTT's that won't be available in Fantasy Grounds, or is there no real difference in the end, just a bit of earlier advertising for those other guys but it's basically the same?
    Last edited by SieferSeesSomething; July 2nd, 2024 at 20:13.

Catching up to some of the rest of this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilafron View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean here about "long term viability" and Kickstarters - those two things aren't really related. Kickstarter has become a solid way for independent-to-small publishers to get pre-order sales for products, but Fantasy Grounds will be successful regardless of whether we participate in them. Our preference has been to wait to be sure a product actually exists before we take people's money for it, so we're going to curate what we choose to participate in from a crowdsourcing standpoint.

Having said that, we'll have news SoonTM about a Kickstarter for a game we will be supporting right away, so we'll share more in the coming weeks, and I'm sure we'll see others that we choose based on the demand that we see in the community and whether the project is a twinkle in someone's eye or a real thing that we're confident will release.

Quote Originally Posted by SieferSeesSomething View Post

What's the difference between this community made ruleset and the official partnership they have with other VTTs? Will there be pdfs or books available in those VTT's that won't be available in Fantasy Grounds, or is there no real difference in the end, just a bit of earlier advertising for those other guys but it's basically the same?
    There will still be an official partnership. There isn't one currently since the first time I spoke with Alan / Dungeon Coach was yesterday with 5 hours left in the Kickstarter, but we will sign an agreement in the coming weeks as a developer is tapped to lead the effort. And yes, as long as the developer is found, then all the content would be made available just like we do for all the games we support (and we have the largest catalog out there). The "earlier advertising" is fairly moot as well since the full game isn't coming out for a year.

We work with an extensive network of community developers that do a great job providing support for official licenses that we have on Fantasy Grounds. The tag "community" here simply means it isn't someone from our internal team of developers, but these are formal relationships between us and the developer that takes on the project. You might think of them as freelancers that we work with (like all TTRPG companies employ), but honestly, it's a pretty solid gig to do development for us because there is revenue sharing that happens (instead of a flat freelancing fee as is typical).

The other VTTs you mention employ this same approach (as I talked with Alan / DC yesterday, he shared that "community" developers are doing the work for Foundry, for instance), and it's a pretty standard way to provide support for a broader list of systems and games.

Quote Originally Posted by BadEye View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean here about "long term viability" and Kickstarters
    I am fairly confident that the "long term viability" comment was meant to imply that community developed rulesets have suffered from several factors that have resulted in a loss of support, either temporarily or permanently, for the ruleset that has been in use. This is the ever-present risk that we, as the community, fear for rulesets that are not developed/maintained by a member of Smiteworks. For rulesets that are developed/maintained by Smiteworks, we feel confident that as changes/fixes are needed in the future, we don't have to worry about "sorry, that ruleset is in maintenance mode only since there isn't a community developer for it"
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Thread Information