Dungeons & Dragons 2024 Core Rulebooks Pre-Order

Are there turnkey maps available or could they be added to the Art sub?

Hello,

I know, that I already know the answer to my question, but I like to dream.

In short, the art sub is not useful for me as making my own maps would increase my pres time, instead of decreasing it, which is a major reason to use a VTT for me. Are there ready-made, kind of turnkey maps available for FGU with LOS, lighting etc.?

As a suggestion / request, please start adding turnkey maps to the Art subscription made with the art included. I would happily pay the yearly fee if I could get almost all the maps I need in "ready to be used" condition. Now I look for free battlemaps from different sites and add them to my campaign without the fancy features FGU includes, because I don't have the time to put them in place.

Edit. To clarify, I am aware that some of the Art sub packs include pre-made maps, but they are very few compared to my needs. I'm also aware of the Paizos maps, but I feel that they are crazy expensive and generally uninteresting.
    Last edited by Maetco; July 1st, 2024 at 11:39.

Blog Entries
    FG comes with a few generic battle maps modules that you can find in Assets.
    The FG Store has a bunch of Map packs that are listed as having LOS with them. This search should get them for you: Fantasy Grounds Store - VTT Map Pack modules
    You can search the Forge for Map Packs, but their is no LOS search so you have to read each item to see if it says. Fantasy Grounds Forge

I know that some folks are working on adding LOS to the Meander's map packs and putting them up on the Forge, but their are thousands of those and it will certainly take some time to get them all posted there.

Myself, I don't know if the Art subscription would be the right place for battlemaps, to me the subscription has always been about assets for making maps.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Maetco View Post
    Edit. To clarify, I am aware that some of the Art sub packs include pre-made maps, but they are very few compared to my needs. I'm also aware of the Paizos maps, but I feel that they are crazy expensive and generally uninteresting.
    There are 5 competed maps packs as part of the art subscription that contain 9 map pieces that can be used individually or put together into a larger map: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...eted+mapS+pack I agree that these are quite specific and so may not be appropriate for some users.

Quote Originally Posted by Maetco View Post
    As a suggestion / request, please start adding turnkey maps to the Art subscription made with the art included. I would happily pay the yearly fee if I could get almost all the maps I need in "ready to be used" condition. Now I look for free battlemaps from different sites and add them to my campaign without the fancy features FGU includes, because I don't have the time to put them in place.
    Ultimately, your needs for maps are going to be different from other people's needs, and "almost all the maps [you] need" could be a large amount of maps. Foe example, you find the Paizo maps uninteresting, whereas I think they're great - everyone has different viewpoints and requirements, especially with maps and artwork. Putting a bunch of maps into the art subscription is unlikely to be useful for most users and is not really what the map subscription is for.

As mentioned by LordEntrail - there are many map modules within the FG store and Forge, allowing you to select maps that are more in line with your tastes and requirements.
    Last edited by Trenloe; July 1st, 2024 at 17:25.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Turnkey

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    There are 5 competed maps packs as part of the art subscription that contain 9 map pieces that can be used individually or put together into a larger map: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...eted+mapS+pack I agree that these are quite specific and so may not be appropriate for some users.

Ultimately, your needs for maps are going to be different from other people's needs, and "almost all the maps [you] need" could be a large amount of maps. Foe example, you find the Paizo maps uninteresting, whereas I think they're great - everyone has different viewpoints and requirements, especially with maps and artwork. Putting a bunch of maps into the art subscription is unlikely to be useful for most users and is not really what the map subscription is for.

As mentioned by LordEntrail - there are many map modules within the FG store and Forge, allowing you to select maps that are more in line with your tastes and requirements.
    Turnkey is hard to define. Generally this would boil down to tastes, style, and usability. Some maps are very colorful, but too busy, other are minimal, some are digitally painted, or created with 3rd party software. What stye do you prefer? Some maps are too big while other are rather cramped. If you need help with adding your own LoS please reach to me or others as this will help in the long run and give you more options. If you are wanting more maps that are closer to the actual WotC products for example, the DM's Guild has some decent maps, but the mileage might vary depending on the artist, how the product was listed, the licensing, and if it is in FG Module format or not. Older content will not likely have LoS included, or if the maps were not made for FG.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

http://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Thread Information