Dungeons & Dragons 2024 Core Rulebooks Pre-Order
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    I'm subscribed to the Forge one, and although updating it multiple times through the FGU updater and noticing that the community.pak file is indeed modified on the proper date, it's still launching the ruleset as 0.6.2? Am I missing something here? Do I need to delete the ruleset and download it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nonimo View Post
    I'm subscribed to the Forge one, and although updating it multiple times through the FGU updater and noticing that the community.pak file is indeed modified on the proper date, it's still launching the ruleset as 0.6.2? Am I missing something here? Do I need to delete the ruleset and download it?
    I can confirm I'm seeing the same thing. Fg updated files last night for forge but when I launch the game still "showing" .6.2 and maybe that's just text that needs to be fixed for clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by llothos View Post
    I can confirm I'm seeing the same thing. Fg updated files last night for forge but when I launch the game still "showing" .6.2 and maybe that's just text that needs to be fixed for clarity.
    Thank you for reporting! Yes, I forgot to update the version number that is displayed . It should properly show DC20 Alpha 0.7, and the ruleset version 1.2.1 now!

I'm not sure if I missed some documentation but I'm not sure how to change PD/MD? Is it still going off an older formula? How do I go about changing them manually?

I'm not sure if I missed some documentation but I'm not sure how to change PD/MD? Is it still going off an older formula? How do I go about changing them manually?
    It is currently not possible to directly edit the PD/MD manually. You can modify the PD/MD by adding an effect to the character in the combat tracker using the formula PD: 3 for example to give a +3 to PD. This change will not be visible on the character sheet, but will be applied to automated calculations, such as Attack Checks. Could you please provide an example of a character where the built-in PD/MD calculation is incorrect? (Note: Class features, feats, and Ancestry Traits are currently not supported yet for automatic calculations and must be added as combat tracker effects to work).

What should work is taking any equipped armor and/or shields into account, as long as those items were set up properly with their respective PD bonuses.
    Last edited by Elewyth; June 17th, 2024 at 06:43.

I wasn't sure at first where to input in the effects for the changes. And yes I was talking about the Barbarian and Monk both having different formulas to calculate their PD/MD. And also a couple of ancestry traits that do interact with PD/MD. I think in the mean time I might just add personal armors for my players to set their PD/MD correctly without having to add it in the tracker, in case it gets accidentally removed.

I don't know how hard or easy it is to do vs. the time it would to take to work on the automatic calculations for features, traits, etc., but perhaps a later update to add in a miscellaneous box that affects PD/MD would be ideal in the mean time?

Thank you by the way for all that you do! For DC20 to already have fervid fans that create ways for us to run it for our players, despite the ruleset itself still in its alpha stages! I would lend my aid but unfortunately, I know nothing about coding! So kudos to you!

I wasn't sure at first where to input in the effects for the changes. And yes I was talking about the Barbarian and Monk both having different formulas to calculate their PD/MD. And also a couple of ancestry traits that do interact with PD/MD. I think in the mean time I might just add personal armors for my players to set their PD/MD correctly without having to add it in the tracker, in case it gets accidentally removed.

I don't know how hard or easy it is to do vs. the time it would to take to work on the automatic calculations for features, traits, etc., but perhaps a later update to add in a miscellaneous box that affects PD/MD would be ideal in the mean time?

Thank you by the way for all that you do! For DC20 to already have fervid fans that create ways for us to run it for our players, despite the ruleset itself still in its alpha stages! I would lend my aid but unfortunately, I know nothing about coding! So kudos to you!
    Ah, yes, unfortunately I have not gotten around to implement class- or ancestry-specific automations yet. As the ruleset is still in Alpha (soon Beta), these features are likely to change often, so the effort to automate these features is not worth it yet for me. I usually work a lot with combat tracker effects, which is why I added extensive effect-automation. My usual best practice for setting up these kinds of "permanent" effects, is as follows:

I create a new section in the "Actions" tab for class or ancestry features that should have effects. For example "Monk". Then, I add an action in the "Monk" group, in this case "Unarmored Defense". Then I create an Effect for this action, with all the effect automation, so for example "Unarmored Defense; PD: 3" or whatever, and then apply that to the character in the combat tracker. In this way, even if it gets deleted from the combattracker you still have all effects stored in the character sheet in those actions. They also hardly take up any space if you collapse the action, or even the entire group/category.

ClassFeatureEffectExample.png

Thank you for your feedback regarding adding a miscellaneous box for PD/MD. It wouldn't be too much effort to add, but because the same functionality can be achieved by using effects, I'm not sure whether I will prioritize this. Once I find time to actually extend the ruleset further, I would likely want to focus on adding other missing functionality that cannot easily be replicated yet (for example automating rests with rest points and recharging certain abilities).

I'm glad you are enjoying the ruleset and that it enables you to play DC20 with your players! I originally created it only for myself and our own group, because we wanted to try out DC20 in FantasyGrounds (and I had too much time on my hands ), but decided to publish it after all the work I invested. Since then, our group has switched to playing in-person, so I haven't had the incentive yet to update the ruleset further, but I'm happy to hear it's being used! I hope to update the ruleset with some more functionality once the Kickstarter ends and the Beta 0.8 drops!
    Last edited by Elewyth; June 17th, 2024 at 22:07.

So, I don't know if you saw Coach's stream today, but he specifically mentioned that out of all the big VTTs, Fantasy Grounds is the only one who hasn't got back to him when he evinced interested in having DC20 in Fantasy Grounds. Not sure why that happened, but since you've already started work on the ruleset, maybe you could reach out to Coach and maybe get something going?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvin View Post
    So, I don't know if you saw Coach's stream today, but he specifically mentioned that out of all the big VTTs, Fantasy Grounds is the only one who hasn't got back to him when he evinced interested in having DC20 in Fantasy Grounds. Not sure why that happened, but since you've already started work on the ruleset, maybe you could reach out to Coach and maybe get something going?
    Yes, I've watched the VOD of the starting section of the stream. The Dungeon Coach has already reached out to me because of this ruleset back in March. I have not really heard much since then - I assume they are waiting for the Kickstarter to end and see where to allocate their funds etc. But I do hope we can elevate this prototype to a fully-fledged ruleset!

Quote Originally Posted by Elewyth View Post
    Yes, I've watched the VOD of the starting section of the stream. The Dungeon Coach has already reached out to me because of this ruleset back in March. I have not really heard much since then - I assume they are waiting for the Kickstarter to end and see where to allocate their funds etc. But I do hope we can elevate this prototype to a fully-fledged ruleset!
    That's great! You may want to reach out to Coach before the Kickstarter ends today though as I'm not quite sure that he understands how things work in the Fantasy Grounds world when it comes to rulesets, i.e. the game company hires someone to write the ruleset and Smiteworks isn't really involved until final approval and such. Only reason I mention it is because, as of an hour or so ago, he released another video in which he basically made all VTT content for both Alchemy and Foundry totally free for any backer at a certain level or above. That's insane, if you think about it, I mean basically $75+ for free when it comes to those VTTs as their pricing for full rulesets and such seem pretty similar to Fantasy Grounds. It kinda makes the decision on which VTT to use for DC20 a no-brainer if anyone is concerned about cost at all.

Thread Information