5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Players can't see custom content. Other content takes a long time to load.

Players can't see custom content that I add to Fantasy Grounds Unity. Such as custom notes. Custom text is just replaced with "type". We're playing the Curse of Strahd module.

Players can see module content. But it takes a very, VERY long time to load (20+ minutes). It takes so long that players quit in frustration.

I have high speed internet, ports are configured properly, etc. So do my players.

First standard things to check would be how much content you are sharing. Then is the problem only with that module?

It should not take that long to load. A good test would be to start a new clean campaign with only that module and see what the sharing time is that way to help narrow down possibilities.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.islandkingdoms.org

Blog Entries
    So first, how are you creating this custom content? Share time is really all about file size and number of players. And if one player has their bandwidth throttled, it affects everyone.

I'm guessing that you are modifying pages etc in the CoS module itself and then having players load that module? You don't want that.
    Second, what content are you adding? I'm guessing high resolution large maps and images. Recommendations for map image are 2MB file size if static, 10MB is animated, 4k x 4k pixels. Other details here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...age-Guidelines

Make sure you are not sharing DM facing modules, only share the player modules and then only stories, items, images as needed. And if you do a lot of custom content creation, see the link in my signature about creating your own custom modules in a development campaign and then exporting that and loading it into your campaign. You can also make a player facing module and have them each load that independently of each other.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

As others have said a lot depends on what and how much of it you are sharing. Do your players need access to multiple modules? Do you really need 25 50Mb Images?

Also whilst your machine may be quick it's the network that is the bottleneck either yours or one of your players. Check that you don't have any kind of QoS switched on (and your players may also want to check this). You mentioned ports but if you are usnig the Cloud (which is recommended) you don't need to worry about ports; so if you have been messing with those then I'd suggest you try connecting via the Cloud.

Anti virus is also often a culprit (either yours or one or more of your players).

Here's some things to check out https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...s+Applications and https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...roubleshooting

Also if you want to hop onto the official Discord we may be able to help more directly. (fg-support channel).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBunnyFox View Post
    Players can't see custom content that I add to Fantasy Grounds Unity. Such as custom notes. Custom text is just replaced with "type".
    This is what I most need an answer to. Why do my players just see "type" when I make a custom item such as a note in FG? Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by anstett View Post
    First standard things to check would be how much content you are sharing.
    I don't know how to answer this succinctly. Is there some kind of data summary in FG? I have 256MB of custom images for D&D. That doesn't seem like a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    So first, how are you creating this custom content?
    I put images into the image folder. And, I make new items, NPC, parcels, etc. in the FG desktop. I copy/paste text for that. It all looks fine on my end. But, my players can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Do you really need 25 50Mb Images?
    I only have 8 images larger than 5MB. The largest is 13.5MB. Yes, I like higher resolution. It looks nice. 2MB seems pretty small...

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Also if you want to hop onto the official Discord we may be able to help more directly. (fg-support channel).
    I posted in the channel.
    Last edited by GoldBunnyFox; June 24th, 2024 at 00:08.

Hello.

I'm a player in Bunnys game.

Some things I can say they've dealt with is their ISP tends to throttle them/prevent them from sending the images at all if they don't use a VPN, but the VPN is slow when they try to share stuff - even their smaller images.

They also are having issues with things beyond just images, though those can be slow (and I'm trying to help them lower the size of some of their images), but an issue they seem to be having is they are trying to share text files to me (notes, letters from NPCs, that sort of thing) and they just appear with stock text like "Type."

Weird that text should have a hard time being shared.
    Last edited by MsKayeTonic; June 24th, 2024 at 02:30.

Blog Entries
    If GBF internet is being throttled then big images are not going to be helping.
    Run /flushdb to unshare content.
    Unshare any books that are not essential to share.
    Have one player connect and test.
    If working get a second player to login and test at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBunnyFox View Post
    This is what I most need an answer to. Why do my players just see "type" when I make a custom item such as a note in FG? Can anyone help?
    I'm note sure what could be causing "type" to just appear, nor what that could be. Please get one of the players to take a screenshot of this and post that here.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I'm note sure what could be causing "type" to just appear, nor what that could be. Please get one of the players to take a screenshot of this and post that here.
    Okay, one of my players will post a screenshot of what they see. The item in question is a note that I created using the "Add Item" button in the Item menu. It is named "A note addressed to Rose and Thorn". Attached is a screenshot of what I see. I can see the note in the parcel and the party sheet. I can read the note from the party sheet. The note can't be found with a search in the Items menu.

A note addressed to Rose and Thorn Screenshot 06-27-24.png

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    20240627174304_1.jpg

This is what I see. Bunny can see the actual text on their end. Other items so far seem to be OK but I remember this occurring with other notes they've tried to share in the past. But its mostly story notes that I think Bunny created that are doing this, they don't have the text the others have - they just say "Type"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MsKayeTonic; June 28th, 2024 at 00:44.

Thread Information