GI JOE RPG Launch

Painting Tool Graphics Turn White or Disappear

Good morning,

As per the title of this thread, whenever I'm attempting to create a map with some graphics, whether ones included from asset packs, or imported map templates of my own, whenever I use the Stamp tool (primarily) the graphics will either turn white when moving/zooming the map, or will disappear entirely. I have no idea what causes or how to recreate this, as it has been an issue for my own players as well, as some assets in certain maps will either turn white or change into entirely different graphics than what was stamped into the map.

Is it possible this issue has to deal with graphic image size? The template I'm trying to use, for example, is about 4MB in .png format. I stamped it 9 times and it seemed to appear fine for several minutes. Then, I switched to a different tab/opened other images/imported, did other various things and when I looked back at the image, all the graphics were gone. However, they're still there on the painting layer. Attached are 2 screencaptures I took of the problem. Creating a new layer has visible stamps, but nothing I've done shows the old ones up. I've done everything besides delete them all and just hope it works.

I'd like to be able to make my maps within FGU so I can expedite the process, but if things will simply change graphics or disappear/turn white outright, then I'm unable to do that. I'd really appreciate any assistance.

Screenshot 2024-06-20 051141.png

Screenshot 2024-06-20 051226.png

Have you tested with a smaller .jpg image to see if that helps? It's hard to diagnose from what you have said or shown in your screenshots. Perhaps if you zipped up the campaign (or a smaller campaign with just the image you have an issue with where you've been able to reproduce the problem) and attach it here so we can have a closer look. We'd also need to see the stamp you are using as well. Some further exact steps might also help detailing exactly the stamp you have used and what exact steps you need to make to reproduce the issue.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xWhiteGodx View Post
    Good morning,

As per the title of this thread, whenever I'm attempting to create a map with some graphics, whether ones included from asset packs, or imported map templates of my own, whenever I use the Stamp tool (primarily) the graphics will either turn white when moving/zooming the map, or will disappear entirely. I have no idea what causes or how to recreate this, as it has been an issue for my own players as well, as some assets in certain maps will either turn white or change into entirely different graphics than what was stamped into the map.

Is it possible this issue has to deal with graphic image size? The template I'm trying to use, for example, is about 4MB in .png format. I stamped it 9 times and it seemed to appear fine for several minutes. Then, I switched to a different tab/opened other images/imported, did other various things and when I looked back at the image, all the graphics were gone. However, they're still there on the painting layer. Attached are 2 screencaptures I took of the problem. Creating a new layer has visible stamps, but nothing I've done shows the old ones up. I've done everything besides delete them all and just hope it works.

I'd like to be able to make my maps within FGU so I can expedite the process, but if things will simply change graphics or disappear/turn white outright, then I'm unable to do that. I'd really appreciate any assistance.

Screenshot 2024-06-20 051141.png

Screenshot 2024-06-20 051226.png
    We've seen this issue reported a couple of times in the past and it was addressed with an uninstall/re-install of Fantasy Grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    We've seen this issue reported a couple of times in the past and it was addressed with an uninstall/re-install of Fantasy Grounds.
    I'll give this a go, but I made sure to do some cursory research using key words and the like before even making this post. If this does fix it, I'll update, though even if it doesn't, I don't mind sending zipped campaign files. I actually recently closed and reopened another file that was working fine, but now the base image no longer shows, but the shadows from the walls and foliage from the clouds still appear. As mentioned, I'll give reinstalling a go.

So, I uninstalled and reinstalled FGU, however the problem still remains. Or, so I'd like to say.

I discovered that if you have an image record that you've painted on or created walls and the like with, if you move it into a different subfolder (I created new subfolders to de-clutter the primary Images folder), the record will no longer pull the image itself regardless of if you used it as a stamp graphic or not. This was the root cause of the stamps and background image disappearing. I couldn't figure out where to find the actual files associated with the painting/walls/etc, but I found that moving the actual image file is what caused the problem. I'm uncertain if the original issue exists that I'd mentioned where stamps would simply change into other graphics or simply go white on a specific map. Opening and closing it and messing around with other stamp assets doesn't seem to cause the problem again, but I'll have to see if it does it in the future as it was something even the players saw happening in realtime.

TL;DR for recreation:

1) Have image in image folder
    2) Create image record or use image as a stamp on painting layer
    3) Move image used into a different subfolder
    4) Refresh FGU folder inside the program
    5) Image no longer appears, or turns into white boxes if a stamp/painting

Fixing the problem (at least for the image if it's the record itself):

1) Put the image in the original location

If you can point me to where I can change where the program reaches for a specific image that's already been altered, that might do a lot to relieve potential headaches, as well as for others in the future.

I appreciate the quick turn-around even though I stumbled into the solution myself! Love the program and love the work you've all put into it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xWhiteGodx View Post
    So, I uninstalled and reinstalled FGU, however the problem still remains. Or, so I'd like to say.

I discovered that if you have an image record that you've painted on or created walls and the like with, if you move it into a different subfolder (I created new subfolders to de-clutter the primary Images folder), the record will no longer pull the image itself regardless of if you used it as a stamp graphic or not. This was the root cause of the stamps and background image disappearing. I couldn't figure out where to find the actual files associated with the painting/walls/etc, but I found that moving the actual image file is what caused the problem. I'm uncertain if the original issue exists that I'd mentioned where stamps would simply change into other graphics or simply go white on a specific map. Opening and closing it and messing around with other stamp assets doesn't seem to cause the problem again, but I'll have to see if it does it in the future as it was something even the players saw happening in realtime.

TL;DR for recreation:

1) Have image in image folder
    2) Create image record or use image as a stamp on painting layer
    3) Move image used into a different subfolder
    4) Refresh FGU folder inside the program
    5) Image no longer appears, or turns into white boxes if a stamp/painting

Fixing the problem (at least for the image if it's the record itself):

1) Put the image in the original location

If you can point me to where I can change where the program reaches for a specific image that's already been altered, that might do a lot to relieve potential headaches, as well as for others in the future.

I appreciate the quick turn-around even though I stumbled into the solution myself! Love the program and love the work you've all put into it.
    Image assets used in Fantasy Grounds have explicit paths relative to the campaign, module, or data folders. For example, if you move or rename a campaign folder, images within that campaign will should path correctly. If you move images, within folders inside the campaign folder, this will break the image links.

Thread Information