Dungeons & Dragons 2024 Core Rulebooks Pre-Order
Page 10 of 10 First ... 8910
    v2.92 Updated to call MNM spellcaster helper functions if the extension is enabled. ( For the added domain/always buttons that this extension adds. )

-pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Forge Modules: B9's Steel Defender.
    Forge Extensions: B9's Spell Tokens, B9's Encumbrance Tweak, B9's Damage Per Round, B9's Surprise Round.
    DMsGuild Extensions: Advanced Weapon Damage, Advanced Spell Damage, Aspect Of The Bear, Spell Long Rest For NPC, Spell Domain.

Quote Originally Posted by houseofdexter View Post
    This extension does not work well with Mad Nomad's https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/1716/view If a spell is ticked as a Spell Domain, it stops counting it as prepared (which is correct), but the 'Use Power' button from Mad Nomad's extension doesn't work.
    Attachment 60969
    This should be fixed in the v2.92 version of spell domain extension.
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Forge Extensions: B9's Spell Tokens, B9's Encumbrance Tweak, B9's Damage Per Round, B9's Surprise Round.
    DMsGuild Extensions: Advanced Weapon Damage, Advanced Spell Damage, Aspect Of The Bear, Spell Long Rest For NPC, Spell Domain.

NOTE: as I'm away from home, I accidently updated the extension as spelldomain.zip instead of spelldomain.ext. I've corrected this in the DMSGuild side... But please use the .ext version if your files end up with both the .ext and.zip version in your downloads folder.

Thanks, Pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

DMsG sucks, it's not updating the download. It's still 2.91 from the last update.

Pretty sure you going to need to move this over to the FORGE to get updates correctly like all the other people had to do with EXTs. DMsG is blocking updates from working.

I know you went through a whole mess to get your ext updated last time.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    DMsG sucks, it's not updating the download. It's still 2.91 from the last update.

Pretty sure you going to need to move this over to the FORGE to get updates correctly like all the other people had to do with EXTs. DMsG is blocking updates from working.

I know you went through a whole mess to get your ext updated last time.
    My windows dmsguild app downloaded the correct version, but my 'account' library download is still getting the old version.

It is very odd in terms of how these things go.

I'll email dmsguild when I'm back home and see if they will let me forge host my extensions. I know rob2e has moved a lot of his groups, but he has more influence so maybe could get permission.

-pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Quote Originally Posted by bratch9 View Post
    My windows dmsguild app downloaded the correct version, but my 'account' library download is still getting the old version.

It is very odd in terms of how these things go.

I'll email dmsguild when I'm back home and see if they will let me forge host my extensions. I know rob2e has moved a lot of his groups, but he has more influence so maybe could get permission.

-pete
    Grim Press did it also, so did others. They should be OK with exts, just not IP protected content like modules.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Grim Press did it also, so did others. They should be OK with exts, just not IP protected content like modules.
    Yep I asked and they seem much more open to allowing extensions to be moved... I just need to work out if even a code reference to a spell name is considered as IP protected which would keep the extension on dmsGuild.

This would also be the case for grim press/rob2e with the modules that add pre-configured dmg/heal/effect lines to spells/items as they also include the basic name of the spell/item. They stripped the description so spell/item name in the code may be ok to move to forge. I'm just not 100% on the legal for that sort of thing.

-pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Quote Originally Posted by bratch9 View Post
    They stripped the description so spell/item name in the code may be ok to move to forge. I'm just not 100% on the legal for that sort of thing.
    *** this is not legal advise (just to make sure) but the answer to one of my inquiries ***

I was advised that some spell names are IP, e.g. "Evard's Black Tentacles" (due to Evard's name). Same for Bigby, Mordenkain, I guess you get it).
    This is why SRD omits the mage's name.

On the other hand, if it is part of the XML referrence to PHB - and not part of the displayed content - it seems to be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnagus View Post
    *** this is not legal advise (just to make sure) but the answer to one of my inquiries ***

I was advised that some spell names are IP, e.g. "Evard's Black Tentacles" (due to Evard's name). Same for Bigby, Mordenkain, I guess you get it).
    This is why SRD omits the mage's name.

On the other hand, if it is part of the XML referrence to PHB - and not part of the displayed content - it seems to be okay.
    Yep, without paying for proper legal checks I'm not 100% sure what could be permitted. I tend to think more along the lines of pf2e remaster changed items, like 'cloudkill'->'Toxic cloud', and 'bag of holding'->'spacious pouch', these sorts of changes imply some sort of protected status of a lot more than just names like 'bigby' etc..

As I'm sure that forge does not provide any 5e IP access, unlike the dmsGuild agreement does.

So for me if I forge hosted a module that had a 'cloudkill' spell (without description) but included pre-defined effects, this probably breaks IP. ( To a point I'd not risk it. )

Which is why I'd probably also class a line of lua code 'if spell == 'cloudkill' then' or 'local list = {{'cloudkill, data}, {...}};', as basically the same. Its much less exposed for the likes of WotC to spot that reference and maybe take issue, than in the module that lists it visibly in game.

Then you have the issue of this sort of reference in 'fan content', ie free access. Which I think would be fine on the forge, but I charge for my extensions so they are not 'fan content' in any way.

A solution might be to have an 'xml' file hosted free access in the forum to 'define' this data for an extension... Hence making the 'IP data' xml free access and hence more like fan content and covered and away from any extension/module payment.

Thanks for your input on this subject. At the moment I'm trying to find time to re-write most of my extensions, taking more recent updates to ruleset more into account. Using my 'b9 core' extension to hold all the ruleset change code, so I only have one git merge project to check and look after. Instead of every extension looking after its own things. This opens up the ability for extensions to access code that would be common instead of duplicating it etc. These things were not an issue in the start but as I've added more extensions to look after will need a tidy up. This re-write will allow the code to come to forge, but then do I charge again for the forge version ? All issues which are keeping the extensions as they are on dmsGuild.

-pete
    Forge Profile
    DMsGuild Profile

Thread Information