DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Fg support for d&d 6th edition dd. 17th september 2024

Hello (from Italy!)

I have 2 quick questions:

Next 17th September there will be the release of the new edition of D&D. Support for this edition is confirmed as it has been till now for 5th edition?

If yes, does anyone know if adventure modules of 5th edition, in case of compatible systems, could be opened under the D&D 6th edition?

For example I buy the D&D 6th edition in Fantasy Grounds and then I want to open the module Dungeon of Mad Mage 5th Edition in it.

Any news?

Or maybe you have already discussed elsewhere?

Thanks
    Neuronblaster GM on warhorn.net

I am working on the D&D (2024) ruleset in between other projects, with a goal of having it ready for September release with the official D&D PHB (2024).

As of right now based on the information I have;
    * Player options records from D&D (2014) source books will NOT be compatible due to the restructuring of player creation rules in D&D (2024)
    * Remaining record types, such as images, stories, NPCs, encounters, items, parcels, tables, etc. should be able to be automatically imported or adapted.

This means that our plan is that D&D (2014) adventures should continue to work without issues in either D&D (2014) or D&D (2024) versions. The caveat is that the work is not completed, so this is still work in progress and the code to perform the automatic migration has not been written yet.

We'll provide more information as we get closer, which will depend on other work in between now and then.

Regards,
    JPG

Player facing extensions, effects automation, and the character wizard will likely need to be rewritten or redone to be usable after the release this fall. Lots of work ahead potentially to maintain and simulate what's been built up in 5e this far in regards to community content, depending on what they do.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

I saw that the preorders for the 5.5e books have been posted to the Smiteworks store. $30 per book, not too bad. DDB has a combined book/digital option for $180, but of course they have the advantage of being owned by WotC. I'll almost certainly get both versions; I especially like the alternative covers for the core books.

So would players who want to use 2014 characters be able to mix with players using 2024 characters at the same FG table? I don’t mind having to redo a character sheet in a new 2024 ruleset but I know I have die hard fans of some classes/subclasses that would be tough to convince to move to a 2024 ruleset if 2014 weren’t available inside of it as well.

No; the rulesets will be completely separate for character creation. While the plan is to provide a path for adventures and bestiaries to be used from previous books, any character options from older books will not work and thus D&D (2014) characters won't be able to be built or levelled in the new ruleset.

Regards,
    JPG

Ok, great. Thanks - appreciate the quick answer.

Hi Moon,
    Out of curiosity, is there a technological reason for not allowing character options from older books (specifically subclasses)? My understanding from what WotC stated, 2014 characters should be able to play side by side with the 2024 options. Obviously, they can't use any of the 2024 options and need to stay with the 2014 options but they are allowed to co-exist if needed (though most people will pick the new shiny more than likely)...

If you read the exact quotes from Jeremy Crawford, you see that he clarifies that all the characters would need to use the same rules to be balanced (i.e. new spells, new feats, etc.). So, it's sort of a hand-wave scenario for GMs.

Since the D&D 2024 character creation process is completely different and we're looking at trying to automate more of the character creation process to allow easier automation for homebrew and future changes; the old character code will not work with the older content. You're welcome to homebrew adapt the older character options content; it just won't work automatically.

Regards,
    JPG

Greece & Iceland, depending on the time of year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    If you read the exact quotes from Jeremy Crawford, you see that he clarifies that all the characters would need to use the same rules to be balanced (i.e. new spells, new feats, etc.). So, it's sort of a hand-wave scenario for GMs.

Since the D&D 2024 character creation process is completely different and we're looking at trying to automate more of the character creation process to allow easier automation for homebrew and future changes; the old character code will not work with the older content. You're welcome to homebrew adapt the older character options content; it just won't work automatically.

Regards,
    JPG
    EDIT: I hadn't read the entire thread when I posted, so some of what I said were already mentioned, so I only have a question: Will it possible to load Tasha's or some of the other non-core books in 5e and have some rudimentary drag'n'drop capability? Or will we have to manually insert stuff from those?

The rest is my original post, which you may ignore.
    They specifically said you can have 2014 PHB characters alongside 2024 PHB characters. I have timestamped the part that specifically explain this: https://youtu.be/WPBnLlqV0Z0?si=L4JE_yv5CY-2njdE&t=2008

Now, me personally, I don't mind if they are not part of the character wizard, but I figure it's important that we could still load 5e modules like Tasha's and still be able to at least drag'n'drop an Artificer. And the only reason I even say this, is because that is WotC's stated intent behind the new 2024 revision of 5e at the table, and I understand I may come off as a prick, but I'd kinda like my VTT to reflect the designer's vision.

Incidentally, that's also how WotC handled 4e Essentials, which itself was essentially (no pun intended) 4.5e.
    Last edited by Vass_Dts; June 20th, 2024 at 02:46.

Thread Information