FG Spreadshirt Swag

Ancestry Feats and Traits

Sorry for yet another technical question on this front.

How does Fantasy Grounds know not to offer Goblin feats to Hobgoblins, despite them having the Goblin trait? Is this another thing that is hardcoded like Poppets are?

I notice that if I for example add the Human trait to a character, the character immediately gains access to Human feats. But Hobgoblins only have access to Hobgoblin feats.

As a related question, if I wanted to give a Hobgoblin character access to Goblin feats, how would I do that?

It's hard coded in the openFeatFilterWindow function. If the PC ancestry is "hobgoblin" then the filter string used to display the feats, which is taken from the PC traits string, has "goblin" replaced with "hobgoblin".

If you wanted Hobgoblins to have access to Goblin feats, then that would have to be handled manually in the campaign data feat window.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

And I'm assuming that level of hardcoding is not something a module has access to?

To give some background here, I'm working on a book conversion for the nice folks at Roll for Combat and they have an ancestry (well, a specific heritage of an ancestry) that receives the Human trait but is not supposed to have access to Human ancestry feats.

I'm trying to determine if there is any way I can accommodate that admittedly unusual case or if I will need to work around it.

The only way to change this functionality would be via an extension to modify the CharManager.openFeatFilterWindow function. Currently that has custom coding for hobgoblin, fleshwarp and poppet ancestry feat filters. I'm wondering if there's a need to expand the trait functionality in the PC sheet to allow specifying traits to include in feat functionality and exclude from feat functionality - allowing custom changes to the character sheet. For example, a hobgoblin might have exclude = goblin, include = hobgoblin somewhere on the PC sheet. I'm not sure about the format or where it would be. I'll add it to the list to mull over...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

That would be pretty cool as a way to allow more flexibility, especially since Paizo seems to like breaking their own rules here (such as the ancestries you mentioned). Or possibly just have a separate "traits to match for ancestry feats" field somewhere. That way for example Hobgoblin could have Goblin in its "traits the character actually has" field and Hobgoblin in its "traits that match ancestry feats" field.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

If I did decide to make an extension, is it possible for an extension to be packaged with a module? Or would it have to be completely separate?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAstro View Post
    If I did decide to make an extension, is it possible for an extension to be packaged with a module? Or would it have to be completely separate?
    The extension will need to be a separate file (.ext as opposed to .mod for modules) and the GM would have to manually enable that extension in each campaign they needed to use it. So not ideal.

No, definitely not ideal.

Okay, well, after talking to them, for now I'm just going to have the automation not add the traits in question and leave a note about why.

Thread Information