DICE PACKS BUNDLE
View RSS Feed

All Things Solo

Creating Plot Twists On-The-Go

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
I can hear you asking: But this is Solo Mode. How can I surprise myself if I know what plot twists are in the table? It's easy! A tad bit of fundamental thinking and a touch of timing, the rest is RNG's business.

You will and should know these plot twist types but you won't know what they'll MEAN in the current context in a scene. Especially when you combine them with random words or objects that you'll link with FFA. This, my friends, is the secret to plot twists in Solo Mode.

EDIT: I finally found the source of this, but the usage is older than the video. Of course, with GreatGM's explanations it's way more enlightening.

# Try It Now, If You Want (In 4 Steps)

Examples are in the comments.

Step 1 - Take the story context below to twist it. Or use your own context.

Context: Your PC is trying to find out about the identity of smugglers to get more info about his/her patron's lost family sword. A rough looking old man named Shoehorn Billy told you that "docks is the place you should start your search," in Skinny Owlbear Tavern. He started the conversation because he noticed you were asking about it. But when you get to the docks, all you see is law abiding sailors and workers doing honest work -it's legit! However you dig, you can't find any clues for a smuggling operation. You can't find the old man either. You're at a dead end...

Step 2 - Roll for 3 words: https://randomwordgenerator.com/ or 3 objects: https://perchance.org/object and note them.
Alternatively, use Mythic's Create Event button instead of 3 random words.

Step 3 - Roll d8 to determine the twist type randomly and note it: https://rolladie.net/roll-a-d8-die

d8
Twist
Description
Example
Sudden Discovery:
PC discovers something that was not known before. "It never existed."
Sudden Reversal:
PC's fortune is reversed for good or ill. "It's not saving you, it's killing you."
3 Surprise Link:
The missing link of the case is revealed and it creates a dilemma. "I am your father, Luke."
Unknown Help:
Some unknown person / group helps the PC with good or ill intentions. "It's dangerous to go alone, take this sword."
Unknown Hindrance:
Some unknown person / entity tries to stop the PC from afar. Detective Investigation is canceled because of a phone call.
6 Dark Pact:
A mysterious figure offers help to PC in return of "just a small price." Crowley in Supernatural.
Flashback:
PC remembers something that will solve the issue at hand, usually with visions. Can't say because The first rule of Fight Club is...
8 Red Herring:
One or more clues was there to misdirect the PC. "I see dead people."

Step 4 - Link the three words you rolled in an interpretive way to make up the plot twist's content. Then tie it to the story context above to twist it. See. Freeform Association if you don't know how. It's a simple Connect the Dots game. Examples in the comments.

"I thank MrDDT for inspiring me with a video for this engaging style."

# Some Guidelines for Surprise Effect

1. You can decide when / where to place your twist but the twist itself should be random.
2. Normally, you roll a dice to see IF there will be a twist at all. It can be a coin flip or d100 roll.
3. Freeform Association is necessary to tie the plot twist into your scene.
4. Don't try to twist your story too early, plot twists are for endgame. Dead ends are perfect for it.
5. Don't use them too much, otherwise you might get bored of the idea.
6. Keep it short and simple.

# Note to Group GMs

You can use this method with the master plot of your adventure in mind. Freeform Association is not exclusive to Soloists. You, too, can work wonders with it, especially when you want a jaw dropping scene in a crucial moment. Since it'll emerge organically, it'll feel like you were plotting for it since the beginning. Just don't tell your players about it.

Submit "Creating Plot Twists On-The-Go" to Digg Submit "Creating Plot Twists On-The-Go" to del.icio.us Submit "Creating Plot Twists On-The-Go" to Google Submit "Creating Plot Twists On-The-Go" to Facebook Submit "Creating Plot Twists On-The-Go" to Twitter

Updated September 5th, 2024 at 07:27 by Tempered7

Categories
Solo Play with FGU

Comments

My Example:

Step 2 - My words:
    Greeting, provision, master.
    Step 3 - d8 Roll: 7. Flashback
    Step 4 - Linking: My PC has a flashback of visions where he remembers his master (patron) greets him and provides him the info that now seems suspicious. Ties to the context: My patron stinks and this old man could be his employee to misdirect me to my doom.

New Quest: I must find out why!
    Another Example:

Step 2 - My objects: toothbrush, soap, tube of lipstick.
    Step 3 - d8 Roll: 2. Sudden Reversal. (My PC's fortune: dead end -> hope).
    Step 4 - Linking: My PC investigates the old man in the tavern and founds an empty tube of lipstick that is filled with solid soap in where he stayed last night. He must have forgotten it in his room. Grabbing the toothbrush that's left in a drawer and removing the soap, he reveals the note that will solve the case!

New Quest: Read the note and use it as a clue.
    EDIT: I finally found the source of this, but the usage is older than the video. Of course, with GreatGM's explanations it's way more enlightening.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwZKD1AWIYM
    Updated August 27th, 2024 at 06:36 by Tempered7
    EDITED/ For Step 2: Alternatively, use Mythic's Create Event button instead of 3 random words.
Fantasy Grounds Merchandise