Dungeons & Dragons 2024 Core Rulebooks Pre-Order
View RSS Feed

All Things Solo

The Core Solo Gameplay Loop

Rate this Entry
Note: This is the most abstract form of the method so you might need to fill in the blanks with your content at hand.

0- DEPENDING ON THE CONTEXT OF YOUR STORY;
The context can be about your PC, an NPC, a place, monster, or their actions, their states, their dispositions... Anything you want to reveal in the story.
If this is your First Scene, the Context is Your Player Characters and/or their Background Story

1 -
ASK a YES / NO question
about something you don't know in the story to generate content, action, or drama.
i.e: "Are there any problems in this town?", "Is there someone nearby?", "Is he/she/it friendly?"
2 - [Optional] If a Yes / No answer is not enough to generate content, Generate 2-3 random words with your word generator table and link those words in an interpretive way to create a story snippet. This is called Freeform Association. Just like in Improv Theater. Use https://randomwordgenerator.com/ for test if you don't have a word table, yet.

3 - Roll d20 for an Answer with the Oracle I provided below. OR use Mythic's Fate Chart (free v1) for automatized answer generation by pressing "Ask a Question".

4 - Interpret the answer (by adding the snippet of a story, if any) with in-game logic depending on your question and its CONTEXT.

5 - Determine what happens.

6 - Play the scene in any mode.

** Don't be shy to modify this system to your liking or according to your needs at any time. **
  • If you're unsure, check this example.

# Simple Oracle

d20 Result
1-4 Critical No
5-8 No
9-13 Maybe?
14-18 Yes
19-20 Critical Yes

• Critical No: No and Something unexpectedly worse happened.
  • Maybe: Either ask further questions until you get your answer, or change your question, or note it for later usage, or reroll.
  • Critical Yes: Yes and something unexpectedly better happened.

Optional Likelihood Modifiers:

If you think the answer for your question is Likely or Unlikely, a Sure thing or there is No Way for it to happen, depending on the context, apply respective modifiers to your roll to make things more spicy, if you want.

+/- 2 to rolls for Likely / Unlikely
+/- 4 to rolls for Sure thing / No way

Submit "The Core Solo Gameplay Loop" to Digg Submit "The Core Solo Gameplay Loop" to del.icio.us Submit "The Core Solo Gameplay Loop" to Google Submit "The Core Solo Gameplay Loop" to Facebook Submit "The Core Solo Gameplay Loop" to Twitter

Updated August 17th, 2024 at 14:03 by Tempered7

Categories
Solo Play with FGU

Comments

I polished this entry. Boy, do I write chaotically.
Cosmere RPG Beta Launch