Dungeons & Dragons 2024 Core Rulebooks Pre-Order
View RSS Feed

All Things Solo

Roleplaying in Solo RPGs

Rate this Entry

# Isn't It Weird to RP By Myself?

If you don't want to roleplay alone, a way to entertain yourself is to simply comment on the results of rolls for your PC, NPCs, monsters, and villains. Just like a pro wrestling commenter in TV. You can even be as sarcastic as you want if that's your cup of tea!

But there are some ways of inner-interrelations for your PCs that might raise your appetite for your sessions. Especially if you like reading or listening to fiction. For they are borrowed from literature.

# Unreliable? Who, me?

A mischievously creative example to interact with your PCs in Soloing, is to play the role of an Unreliable Narrator as a GM. A PERFECT example for what an Unreliable Narrator is demonstrated in a 9 min. short video called " The Gunfighter | A Short Film by Eric Kissack "

# Other ways are;

1. Scene / Action Descriptions + Thinking Voice: We see this in Dune series by Frank Herbert a lot.
  2. Monologues: Interior monologues involve a character externalizing their thoughts so that the audience can witness experiences that would otherwise be mostly internal --i.e: Psycho Krieg from Borderlands 2. OR If you want a more serious one, a dramatic monologue involves one character speaking to another character. i.e: Sam's monologue from LOTR.
  3. Dialogues: Simply, create a PC and a sidekick and make them comment on the events of their adventures, according to their nature.
  4. Silent Protagonist / Grunter: Take Garm from Mass Effect, silence him, give each of his grunts a different meaning.
  5. Telepathy (implies a mysterious character): Again, Borderlands beginning scene. Or just like twins who sense what each other feels or thinks. Maybe complete each other's sentences.
  6. Standard Roleplay in first person between PCs and NPCs.
  7. Journaling: In 1st person perspective of your PC after a session. Or as in Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, you can assign the documenter role to a sidekick. Not to be confused with the Mode of Play that helps you to keep record of a session. In here, you write/record of your PC's take on the adventure in detail. Like, Dear Diary. Needs a good memory or logs of the session.

These methods will turn your barebones tokens and monster stats into a real Choose Your Own Adventure World with lively characters.

Pick and combine any of these ways with Modes of Play, and you'll have your own style.
# Useful Extensions for RP

Submit "Roleplaying in Solo RPGs" to Digg Submit "Roleplaying in Solo RPGs" to del.icio.us Submit "Roleplaying in Solo RPGs" to Google Submit "Roleplaying in Solo RPGs" to Facebook Submit "Roleplaying in Solo RPGs" to Twitter

Updated September 4th, 2024 at 10:05 by Tempered7

Categories
Solo Play with FGU

Comments

I forgot to add example video for Unreliable Narrator:
    The Gunfighter | A Short Film by Eric Kissack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWs4WA--eKU
DICE PACKS BUNDLE